Guided by the concept of bullshit, broadly defined as a deceptive form of rhetoric intended to distract and/or persuade, we examine how fabrications and false statements— when crafted and distributed by the president of the United States—impact not only foreign policy making and implementation but also erode democratic norms. Unconstrained by reality, and seemingly driven more by celebrity and showmanship than a genuine desire to govern, we argue that President Trump’s penchant for bullshit is part of a concerted strategy to sideline critics while simultaneously undermining the ongoing investigations into the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with the Russian government.
Guidés par le concept de conneries, largement défini comme une forme trompeuse de rhétorique destinée à distraire et / ou à persuader, nous examinons comment les fabrications et les fausses déclarations— lorsqu'elles sont forgées et distribuées par le président des États-Unis— influencent non seulement la politique étrangère et sa mise en oeuvre mais aussi rongent les normes démocratiques. Puisque le président Trump n’est pas contraint par la réalité et est apparemment plus motivé par la célébrité et la mise en scène que par un réel désir de gouverner, nous sommes convaincus que son penchant pour les conneries fait partie d'une stratégie concertée pour marginaliser les critiques tout en minant les enquêtes en cours sur la prétendue collusion de la campagne de Donald Trump avec la Gouvernement russe.
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Aberdein, Andrew. 2006. Raising the tone: Definition, bullshit, and the definition of bullshit. In Bullshit and philosophy: Guaranteed to get perfect results every time, eds. Gary L. Hardcastle and George A. Reisch, 151-170. Chicago, IL: Open Court.
- Abramson, Alana. 2017. Justice Department confirms there is no evidence Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. In Time Magazine (3 September 2017), accessed 30 November 2017: http://time.com/4926141/barack-obama-donald-trump-wiretap-doj/
- Adams, Becket. 2015. Hannity ‘glad Donald Trump is in this race’. In Washington Examiner (17 August 2015), accessed 10 June 2017: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/hannity-glad-donald-trump-is-in-this-race/article/2570342
- Arana, Gabriel. 2015. Rachel Maddow: Is Donald Trump’s candidacy just a PR stunt? The Huffington Post (17 June 2015), accessed 10 June 2017: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/17/maddow-trump-presidential-candidacy_n_7603670.html
- Associated Press. 2017. Transcript of AP interview with Trump. In The Associated Press (23 April 2017), accessed 12 June 2017: https://apnews.com/c810d7de280a47e88848b0ac74690c83
- Baker, Peter. 2017a. Trump says NATO allies don’t pay their share. Is that true? In The New York Times (26 May 2017), accessed 17 August 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/world/europe/nato-trump-spending.html?mcubz=1
- Baker, Peter. 2017b. Trump commits United States to defending NATO nations. In The New York Times (9 June 2017), accessed 12 June 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/09/world/europe/trump-nato-defense-article-5.html?mcubz=1
- Baker, Peter and Choe Sang-Hun. 2017. Trump threatens ‘fire and fury’ against North Korea if it endangers U.S. In The New York Times (8 August 2017), accessed 23 August 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/world/asia/north-korea-un-sanctions-nuclear-missile-united-nations.html
- Beauchamp, Zach. 2017. While Trump was distracted, North Korea calmed down. That’s not a coincidence. In Vox (15 August 2017), accessed 26 August 2017:https://www.vox.com/world/2017/8/15/16150412/trump-north-korea-charlottesville
- Belfiore, Eleonora. 2009. On bullshit in cultural policy practice and research: Notes from the British case. International Journal of Cultural Policy 15(3): 343-359.
- Bernstein, Jonathan. 2017. Trump’s know-nothing tour de force. In Bloomberg (2017 May 11), accessed 14 June 2017: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-05-11/trump-s-know-nothing-tour-de-force
- Bobic, Igor. 2015. Donald Trump is actually running for president. God help us all. In The Huffington Post (16 June 2015), accessed 14 June 2017: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/16/donald-trump-president_n_7595438.html
- Brennan, Margaret and Kyle Atwood. 2017. Trump sells Qatar $12 billion of U.S. weapons days after accusing it of funding terrorism. In CBS News (15 July 2017), accessed 21 August 2017: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sells-qatar-12-billion-arms-days-after-accusing-it-of-funding-terrorism/
- Brooks, David. 2017. When the world is led by a child. In The New York Times (15 May 2017), accessed on 15 June 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/opinion/trump-classified-data.html
- Carson, Thomas L. 2016. Frankfurt and Cohen on bullshit, bullshitting, deception, lying, and concern with the truth of what one says. Prag- matics & Cognition 23(1): 53-67.
- Carter, Brandon. 2017. Ex-Obama DOJ official: Trump ‘just admitted to obstruction of justice’. In The Hill (2 December 2017), accessed on 3 December 2017: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/362935-ex-obama-doj-official-trump-just-admitted-to-obstruction-of
- Channel 4 News. 2017. “So does it matter if the video is fake”? In Facebook (29 November 2017) [Video file], accessed 1 December 2017: https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10155456447536939 /
- Cillizza, Chris. 2017. Kellyanne Conway offers alternative fact to explain why Trump isn't lying. In CNN (24 July 2017), accessed 28 July 2017: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/24/politics/kellyanne-conway-trump/index.html
- CNN. 2017. North Korean nuclear timeline. In CNN (14 August 2017), accessed 22 August 2017: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/world/asia/north-korea-nuclear-timeline---fast-facts/index.html
- Cohen, Gerald Allen. 2002. Deeper into bullshit. In Contours of agency, eds. Sarah Buss and Lee Overton, 321-339. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Cox, Ana Marie. 2015. Bernie Sanders has heard about that hashtag. In The New York Times (17 August 2015), accessed 14 June 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/magazine/bernie-sanders-has-heard-about-that-hashtag.html
- C-SPAN. 2015. Donald Trump presidential campaign announcement full speech. In C-SPAN (16 June 2015) [Video file], accessed 12 June 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apjNfkysjbM
- Dickerson, John. 2017. President Trump’s interview in the Oval Office: Full transcript. In CBS News (1 May 2017), accessed 14 June 2017: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-trump-oval-office-interview-cbs-this-morning-full-transcript/
- The Editorial Board. 2017. The president speaks for himself. In The New York Times (29 August 2017), accessed 30 August 2015: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/29/opinion/american-values-arpaio-pardon.html
- Fabian, Jordan. 2017. Trump resurrects pig’s blood myth after Barcelona attack. In The Hill (17 August 2017), accessed 17 August 2017: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/346995-trump-resurrects-pigs-blood-myth-after-barcelona-attack
- Fish, Will. 2016. ‘Post-truth’ politics and illusory democracy. Psychotherapy and Politics International 14(3): 211-213.
- FOX News. 2015. Trump announces White House bid, joins crowded GOP field. In FOX News (16 June 2015), accessed 13 June 2017: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/16/trump-announces-white-house-bid-joins-crowded-gop-field.html
- Frankfurt, Harry G. 2005. On bullshit. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. Frankfurt, Harry G. 2006. On truth. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Gaouette, Nicole and Zachary Cohen. 2017. U.S. and Qatar broker counter-terrorism agreement. In CNN Politics (11 July 2017), accessed 17 August 2017: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/11/politics/tillerson-qatar-terrorism-memorandum-of-understanding/index.html
- Glasser, Susan B. 2017. Trump national security team blindsided by NATO speech. In Politico (5 June 2017), accessed 17 August 2017: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/05/trump-nato-speech-national-security-team-215227
- Gold, Hadas. 2017. Trump seizes advantage in war with media. In Politico (28 June 2017), accessed 10 August 2017: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/trump-cnn-war-media-240069
- Graham, David A. Leaked transcripts show how foreign leaders manipulate Trump. In The Atlantic (3 August 2017), accessed 12 January 2018: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/08/an-unprecedented-look-into-trumps-stagecraft/535794/
- Gramer, Robbie. 2017. Trump discovers Article 5 after disastrous NATO visit. In Foreign Policy Magazine (9 June 2017), accessed 14 June 2017: https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/09/trump-discovers-article-5-after-disastrous-nato-visit-brussels-visit-transatlantic-relationship-europe/
- Grim, Ryan and Danny Shea. 2015. A note about our coverage of Donald Trump’s ‘campaign.’ In The Huffington Post (17 July 2015), accessed 10 August 2017: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-note-about-our-coverage-of-donald-trumps-campaign_us_55a8fc9ce4b0896514d0fd66
- Haberman, Maggie and Johnathan Martin. 2017. Trump once said the ‘Access Hollywood’ tape was real. Now he’s not sure. In The New York Times (28 November 2017), accessed 8 December 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/us/politics/trump-access-hollywood-tape.html
- Hardcastle, Gary L. and George A. Reisch. 2006. Bullshit and philosophy: Guaranteed to get perfect results every time, eds. Gary L. Hardcastle and George A. Reisch. Chicago, IL: Open Court.
- Held, Amy. 2018. Trump says FBI missed ‘signals’ of Florida school shooting because of Russia probe. In NPR (18 February 2018), accessed 18 February 2018: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/18/586912701/trump-says-fbi-missed-signals-of-florida-school-shooting-because-of-russia-probe
- Holt, Lester. 2017. President Trump: This Russia thing is a made up story. In NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt (11 May 2007) [Video file], accessed 5 December 2017: https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/president-trump-this-russia-thing-is-a-made-up-story-941962819745
- Jackson, Brooks. 2015. Trump tramples facts. In FactCheck.org (16 June 2015), accessed 11 June 2017: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/06/trump-tramples-facts/
- James, Aaron. 2016. Assholes: A theory of Donald Trump. New York: Doubleday. Kessler, Glenn, Meg Kelly and Nicole Lewis. President Trump has made 1,628 false or misleading claims over 298 days. In The Washington Post (14 November 2017), accessed 12 December 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/11/14/president-trump-has-made-1628-false-or-misleading-claims-over-298-days/?utm_term=.7db5dac464b2&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
- Kaussler, Bernd and Glenn Hastedt. 2017. U.S. foreign policy towards the Middle East: The realpolitik of deceit. London: Routledge. Kotzee, Ben. 2007. Our vision and our mission: Bullshit, assertion, and belief. South African Journal of Philosophy 26(2): 165-175.
- Kuhn, Thomas S. 1962. The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. Lejeune, Tristan. 2017. Trump: ‘Everyone here is talking about DNC, Podesta’. In The Hill (7 July 2017), accessed 14 August 2017: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news-other-administration/340939-trump-everyone-here-is-talking-about-dnc
- Lynch, Colum. 2017. Nikki Haley and Trump’s doctrine of diplomatic chaos. In Foreign Policy Magazine (28 June 2017), accessed 10 September 2017: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/28/nikki-haley-and-trumps-doctrine-of-diplomatic-chaos/
- Lynch, Marc. 2017. Three big lessons from the Qatar crisis. In The Washington Post (14 July 2017), accessed 22 August 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/07/14/three-big-lessons-of-the-qatar-crisis/?utm_term=.f52c41d43b35
- Mackey, Robert. 2017. Fox News is planting thoughts in Donald Trump’s head. In The Intercept (10 July 2017), accessed 17 August 2017: https://theintercept.com/2017/07/10/fox-news-planting-thoughts-donald-trumps-head/
- McKirdy, Euan. 2017. North Korea tests missile it claims can reach ‘anywhere in the world’. In CNN (4 July 2017), accessed 22 August 2017: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/03/asia/north-korea-missile-japan-waters/index.html
- Meet the Press with Chuck Todd. 2017. Full Feinstein interview: Flynn had to be directed (3 December 2017), accessed 11 December 2017: https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/full-feinstein-interview-flynn-had-to-have-been-directed-1108593731906
- Olsson, Erik J. 2008. Knowledge, truth, and bullshit: Reflections on Frankfurt. Midwest Studies in Philosophy 32(1): 94-110.
- OWN. 2015. Donald Trump teases a president bid during a 1988 Oprah show. In OWN (25 June 2015) [Video file], accessed 10 June 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPs17_AkTI
- Parker, Ashley and Wagner John. 2017 Trump retweets inflammatory and unverified anti-Muslim videos. In Washington Post (29 November 2017), accessed 10 December 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/11/29/trump-retweets-inflammatory-and-unverified-anti-muslim-videos/?utm_term=.84ee5782ad2a
- PolitiFact. 2017. A timeline of Donald Trump’s false wiretapping claim. In PolitiFact (21 March 2017), accessed 10 June 2017: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/mar/21/timeline-donald-trumps-false-wiretapping-charge
- Reisch, George A. 2006. The pragmatics of bullshit, intelligently designed. In Bullshit and philosophy: Guaranteed to get perfect results every time, eds. Gary L. Hardcastle and George A. Reisch, 33-47. Chicago, IL: Open Court.
- Roberts, David. 2017. Donald Trump and the rise of tribal epistemology: Journalism cannot be neutral toward a threat to the conditions that make it possible. In Vox (19 May 2017), accessed 10 February 2018: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/22/14762030/donald-trump-tribal-epistemology
- Sakama, Chiaki, Martin Caminada and Andreas Herzig. 2014. A formal account of dishonesty. Logic Journal of the IGPL 23(2): 259-294.
- Savransky, Rebecca. 2017. Schiff: Trump’s Russia comments directly undermine U.S. interests. In The Hill (7 June 2017), accessed 17 August 2017: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/340815-schiff-trumps-russia-comments-directly-undermine-us-interests
- Schelling, Thomas. 2008. Arms and influence. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Schmidt, Michael and Michael D. Shear. 2017. Comey asks Justice Dept. to reject Trump’s wiretapping claim. In The New York Times (5 March 2017), accessed 19 July 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/05/us/politics/trump-seeks-inquiry-into-allegations-that-obama-tapped-his-phones.html?_r=0
- Shafer, Jack. 2017. Trump the bully. In Politico Magazine (27 January 2017), accessed 12 June 2017: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/trump-the-bully-214698
- Smagorinsky, Peter, Elizabeth Anne Daigle, Cindy O’Donnel-Allen and Susan Bynum. 2010. Bullshit in academic writing: A protocol analysis of a high school senior’s process of interpreting Much Ado About Nothing. Research in the Teaching of English 44(4): 368-405. Smith, David and Martin Pengelly. “I feel badly for General Flynn”: Trump sympathizes with disgraced former aide. In The Guardian (4 December 2017), accessed 12 December 2017: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/04/doesnt-make-sense-incredulity-trumps-lawyer-john-dowd-take-blame-for-flynn-tweet
- Stelter, Brian. 2017. White House press secretary attacks media for accurately reporting inauguration crowds. In CNN (21 January 2017), accessed 10 June 2017: http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/21/media/sean-spicer-press-secretary-statement/index.html Taibbi, Matt. 2015. Inside the GOP clown car. In Rolling Stone (12 August 2015), accessed 9 June 2017: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/inside-the-gop-clown-car-20150812
- Trush, Glenn and Peter Baker. 2017. Trump’s threat to North Korea was improvised. In The New York Times (9 August 2017), accessed 25 August 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/us/politics/trump-north-korea.html?mcubz=1
- Trump, Donald. 2017a. Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my “wires tapped” in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism! In Twitter (4 March 2017), accessed 14 June 2017: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/837989835818287106
- Trump, Donald. 2017b. How low has President Obama gone to tapp my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy! In Twitter (4 March 2017), accessed 14 June 2017: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/837996746236182529
- Trump, Donald. 2017c. I never asked Comey to stop investigating Flynn. Just more Fake News covering another Comey lie! In Twitter (3 December 2017), accessed 3 December 2017: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/937279001684598784?lang=en
- Trump, Donald. 2017d. After years of Comey, with the phony and dishonest Clinton investigation (and more), running the FBI, its reputation is in Tatters - worst in History! But fear not, we will bring it back to greatness. In Twitter (3 December 2017), accessed 3 December 2017: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/937305615218696193?lang=en
- Wang, Amy B. 2016. ‘Post-truth’ named 2016 word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries. In The Washington Post (16 November 2016), accessed 11 June 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/16/post-truth-named-2016-word-of-the-year-by-oxford-dictionaries/
- Ward, Alex. 2017. Trump just revealed a covert CIA program—over Twitter. In Vox (25 July 2017), accessed 17 August 2017: https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/25/16025136/trump-syria-cia-twitter-program-end-covert
- Ward, Steven C. 1996. Reconfiguring truth: Postmodernism, science studies, and the search for a new model of knowledge. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Webber, Jonathan. 2013. Liar!. Analysis 73(4): 651-659.
- West, Lindy. 2017. 100 Days of gibberish—Trump has weaponised nonsense. In The Guardian (25 April 2017), accessed 15 August 2017: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/25/trump-100-days-gibberish-weaponised-white-
- The White House. 2017. Remarks by President Trump and President Iohannis of Romania in a joint press conference (9 June 2017), accessed 11 June 2017: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/06/09/remarks-president-trump-and-president-iohannis-romania-joint-press
- Will, George. 2017. Trump has a dangerous disability. In The Washington Post (3 May 2017), accessed 11 June 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-has-a-dangerous-disability/2017/05/03/56ca6118-2f6b-11e7-9534-00e4656c22aa_story.html?utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&utm_ medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=.a9f48771665b
- Yarhi-Milo, Keren. 2018. After credibility: American foreign policy in the Trump era. Foreign Affairs 97(1): 68-77. Zavattaro, Staci M. 2017. In defense of bullshit: Administrative utility of the philosophically ephemeral. Public Voices 15(1): 47-62.