This collaborative self-study examines how five higher education institutions in British Columbia (BC), Canada, have achieved momentum with openness and are implementing and sustaining their efforts. A goal of this research was to see whether an institutional self-assessment tool—adapted from blended learning and institutional transformation research—can help to assess how an institution has progressed with its open education initiatives. By adopting both an appreciative and a critical approach, the researchers at these five BC institutions compared the similarities and differences between their institutional approaches and the evolution of their initiatives. The paper includes discussion of how a self-assessment tool for institutional open education practices (OEP) can be applied to OEP initiatives at an institutional level and shares promising practices and insights that emerge from this research.
- open education practices,
- self-assessment tool,
- institutional initiatives,
- blended learning,
- institutional transformation
- Baker, A., & Ippoliti C. (2018). Student-driven OER: Championing the student voice in campus-wide efforts. In A. Wesolek, J. Lashley & A. Langley (Eds.), OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians (pp. 239-252). Pacific University Press.
- Bazeley, P. (2013). Qualitative data analysis: Practical strategies. Sage.
- Coolidge, A., & DeMarte, D. (2016). OER policy development tool. https://policy.lumenlearning.com/
- Cox, G., & Trotter, H. (2016). Institutional culture and OER policy: How structure, culture, and agency mediate OER policy potential in South African Universities. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 17(5), 147-164. https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v17i5.2523
- Creswell, J. (2007). Qualitative inquiry & research design: Choosing among five approaches (2nd ed.). Sage Publications.
- Cronin, C. (2017). Openness and praxis: Exploring the use of open educational practices in higher education. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 18(5). https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v18i5.3096
- Eckel, P. D., & Kezar, A. (2003). Key strategies for making new institutional sense: Ingredients to higher education transformation. Higher Education Policy, 16(1), 39-53. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.hep.8300001
- Friesen, N. (2009). Open educational resources: New possibilities for change and sustainability. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributede Learning, 10(5), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v10i5.664
- Garrison, D. R., & Vaughan, N. D. (2013). Institutional change and leadership associated with blended learning innovation: Two case studies. The Internet and Higher Education, 18, 24-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2012.09.001
- Graham, C. R., Woodfield, W., & Harrison, J. B. (2013). A framework for institutional adoption and implementation of blended learning in higher education. The Internet and Higher Education, 18, 4-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2012.09.003
- Griffiths, R., Mislevy, J., Wang, S., Ball, A., Shear, L., & Desrochers, D. (2020). OER at scale: The academic and economic outcomes of Achieving the Dream’s OER degree initiative. SRI International. https://www.achievingthedream.org/system/files_force/resources/atd_oer_at_scale_academic_economic_outcomes_feb_2020.pdf
- Gutiérrez, K. D., Baquedano-López, P., & Tejeda, C. (1999). Rethinking diversity: Hybridity and hybrid language practices in the third space. Mind, Culture, and Activity, 6(4), 286-303. https://doi.org/10.1080/10749039909524733
- Hamilton, M. L., & Pinnegar, S. (2014). Intimate scholarship in research: An example from self-study of teaching and teacher education practices methodology. LEARNing Landscapes, 8(1). https://doi.org/10.36510/learnland.v8i1.680
- Hannon, J., Huggard, S., Orchard, A., & Stone, N. (2014). OER in practice: Organisational change by bootstrapping. RUSC: Universities and Knowledge Society Journal, 11(3), 134. https://doi.org/10.7238/rusc.v11i3.2131
- Inamorato dos Santos, A. (2019). Practical guidelines on open education for academics: Modernising higher education via open educational practices (No. JRC115663). Publications Office of the European Union. https://doi.org/10.2760/55923
- Inamorato dos Santos, A., Punie, Y., & Castaño-Muñoz, J. (2016) Opening up education: A support framework for higher education institutions. JRC Science for Policy Report, EUR 27938 EN. http://doi.org/10.2791/293408
- Kezar, A. (2012). Bottom-up/Top-down leadership: Contradiction or hidden phenomenon. The Journal of Higher Education, 83(5), 725-760. https://doi.org/10.1353/jhe.2012.003
- Kezar, A., & Eckel, P. D. (2002). The effect of institutional culture on change strategies in higher education: Universal principles or culturally responsive concepts? The Journal of Higher Education, 73(4), 435-460. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221546.2002.11777159
- LaBoskey, V. K. (2004). The methodology of self-study and its theoretical underpinnings. In J. J. Loughran, M. L. Hamilton, V. L. LaBoskey, & T. Russell (Eds.), International handbook of self-study of teaching and teacher education practices (pp. 817-870). Kluwer.
- Lim, C. P., & Wang, L. (2017). Blended learning for quality higher education: Selected case studies on implementation from Asia-Pacific. UNESCO. https://bangkok.unesco.org/content/blended-learning-quality-higher-education-selected-case-studies-implementation-asia-pacific
- Lim, C. P., Wang, T., & Graham, C. (2019). Driving, sustaining and scaling up blended learning practices in higher education institutions: A proposed framework. Innovation and Education, 1(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s42862-019-0002-0
- Louie, B., Drevdahl, D., Purdy, J., & Stackman, R. (2003). Advancing the scholarship of teaching through collaborative self-study. The Journal of Higher Education, 74(2), 150-171. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3648253
- Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training (2019). Full-time equivalent enrolments at B.C. public post-secondary institutions. Data Catalogue, Government of British Columbia. https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dataset/full-time-equivalent-enrolments-at-b-c-public-post-secondary-institutions
- Oldenburg, R. (1999) The great good place: Cafes, coffee shops, bookstores, bars, hair salons and other hangouts at the heart of a community (2nd ed.). Marlowe & Company.
- Patton, M. (2002). Qualitative research and evaluation methods (3rd ed.). Sage.
- Peterson, M., & Spencer, M. (1991). Understanding academic culture and climate. In M. Peterson (Ed.), ASHE reader on organization and governance (pp. 140-155). Simon & Schuster.
- Pinnegar, S., & Hamilton, M. L. (2009). Self-study of practice as a genre of qualitative research: Theory, methodology, and practice (Vol. 8). Springer Science & Business Media.
- Rolfe, V. (2012). Open educational resources: Staff attitudes and awareness. Research in Learning Technology, 20(1). https://doi.org/10.3402/rlt.v20i0.14395
- Skidmore, J., & Provida, M. (2019). A place for policy: The role of policy in supporting open educational resources and practices at Ontario’s colleges and universities [Research report]. Ecampus Ontario. https://www.ecampusontario.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019-08-07-skimore-oe-policy-report.pdf
- Social Sciences Feminist Network Research Interest Group (SSFN-RIG). (2017). The burden of invisible work in academia: Social inequalities and time use in five university departments. Humboldt Journal of Social Relations, 1(39), 18. https://digitalcommons.humboldt.edu/hjsr/vol1/iss39/21/
- Spilovoy, T., Seaman, J., & Nate, R. (2020). The impact of OER initiatives on faculty selection of classroom materials. Bay View Analytics. https://onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/impactofoerinitiatives.pdf
- Taylor, J. A., & Newton, D. (2013). Beyond blended learning: A case study of institutional change at an Australian regional university. The Internet and Higher Education, 18, 54-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2012.10.003
- Watters, A. (2018, May 4). Invisible labor and digital utopias. http://hackeducation.com/2018/05/04/cuny-labor-open
- Weller, M., Jordan, K., DeVries, I., & Rolfe, V. (2018). Mapping the open education landscape: Citation network analysis of historical open and distance education research. Open Praxis, 10(2), 109-126. https://doi.org/10.5944/openpraxis.10.2.822
- Wiley, D. (2007). On the sustainability of open educational resource initiatives in higher education. OECD. http://www.oecd.org/education/ceri/38645447.pdf