This study investigated -the first year University undergraduates’ experiences in the use of open educational resources (OER) in online learning and their in-course achievement. The design selected for the study was survey and quasi-experimental. A total number of 106 University undergraduates participated in the study after a preliminary study was conducted to ascertain undergraduates’ perception and acceptability of OER. A structured questionnaire on 4-point Likert scale and Achievement Test were used to collect data. The two instruments were validated and trial tested to established reliability using Cronbach’s alpha. Data were analysed using simple percentage and t-test. The results clearly shown that understanding of online learners’ skills, acceptability, perception, and competencies is necessary to provide intervention strategy and appropriate support service which could facilitate their understanding and learning of difficult concepts. It was also discovered that that students that have positive perception of OER performed very well in the achievement test administered.
- open and distance education (ODE),
- learning management system (LMS),
- open education resources (OER)
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Baloyi, G.P. (2014). Learner support in the open distance learning and e-learning context using the community of inquiry model. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(20), 1251-1258.
- D'Antoni, S (2009). Open educational resources: Reviewing initiatives an issues. Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance, and E-learning. 24(1), 3-10.
- Downes, S. (2011). From open content to open thinking. In the World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hpermedia and Telecommunications (Ed-media, 2010). Toronto, Canada.
- Govender, D.W., Dhurup, M., & Mudaly, Y. (2014). Perception of learners of a learning management system to support teaching and learning using the diffusion of innovation theory. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(8), 377-385.
- Harsasi, M. (2015). The use of open educational resources in online learning. A study of students' perception. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 16(3), 74-87.
- Hew, K.F., & Cheung, W.S (2013). Use and production of open educational resources (OER). A pilot study of undergraduate students' perceptions. Conference proceeding of International Conference on Educational Technology, 125-128.
- Hilton, J., III, & Laman, C. (2012). One college's use of open psychology textbook-open learning. The Journal of Open, Distance and E-learning, 27(3), 265-272. doi: https://doi.org/10.7080/02680513.2012.716657
- Hylen, J. (2007). Giving knowledge for free: the emergence of open educational resources. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org//dataoecd/35/7/386654317.pdf
- Kember, D., McNaught, C., Chong, F.C., Lam, P., & Cheng, K.F. (2010). Understanding the ways in which designs features of educational websites impacts upon students learning outcomes in blended learning environments. Computers in Education, 55, 1183-1192.
- Mbati, L., & Minnar, A. (2015). Guidelines towards the facilitation of interactive online learning programmes in higher education. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 16(12), 272-286.
- McCarthy, J. (2010). Blended learning environments: Using social networking sites to enhance the first year experience. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 26(6), 729-740.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2007). Giving knowledge free: the emergence of open education resources. Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris, France.
- Ownioduokit, F.A. (2000). Knowledge of mathematics as a predator of students' performance in physics. Nigerian Journal of Science Education, 6(1), 9-15.
- Prensky, M. (2001). Digital native, digital immigrants. On the Horizon, 9(5), 1-6.
- Resis. M., & Steffens, D. (2010). Hybrid toolboxes: Conceptual and empirical analysis of blending patterns in application of hybrid media. Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 16(2), 305-326.
- Rumble, G. (2000). Student support in distance education in 21st century learning from service management. Distance Education, 121(2) 216-235.
- Rogers, E.M. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5th ed.) New York: Free Press.
- Secreto, P.V. (2013). Gender equality in online learning: the case of Up Open University. Proceia-Social and Behavioural Sciences, 103, 434-441.
- Sclater, N. (2010). The organizational impact of open educational resources. In Changing Cultures in Higher Education. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.