The purpose of this study is to identify relationships of learners’ achievement goal orientation, self-regulation, test-anxiety, self-efficacy, participation, satisfaction, and achievement in online learning environments in Korea. A total of 1,832 student responses from a Korean cyber university were used to find structural relationships of factors. Causal relationships among various variables are provided as results of this study. Achievement goal orientation –approach, self-regulated learning, test-anxiety, and self-efficacy, were positively related to participation; however, achievement goal orientation-avoidance was negatively related to participation. Test-anxiety was directly related to learning achievement and it was found that participation affected learning satisfaction and learning achievement. It was also revealed that learning satisfaction was related to learning achievement. Results of this study suggest that a comprehensive management of learners’ psychological variables, such as achievement goal orientation, self-regulation, test-anxiety, self-efficacy for designing, and managing online learning environments is important to online learning organizations, instructors, and administrators for better learner support.
- Online learning,
- achievement goal orientation,
- structural relationships
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Ames, C. (1992). Classrooms: Goals, structures, and student motivation. Journal of Educational Psychology, 84(3), 261-271. doi: 10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.1681
- Bak, B. G., & Lee, J. U. (2005). Development and validation of a 2×2 achievement goal orientation scale. The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 19(1), 327-352. Retrieved from http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Journal/ArticleDetail/NODE06763545#
- Bak, B. G., & Im, S. I. (2010). A meta-analysis of test anxiety with related variables. Korean Educational Psychology Association, 24(4), 875-894. Retrieved from http://www.dbpia.co.kr.oca.korea.ac.kr/Journal/ArticleDetail/NODE06763822
- Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: W.H. Freeman.
- Cellar, D. F., Stuhlmacher, A. F., Young, S. K., Fisher, D. M., Adair, C. K., Haynes, S. ... Riester, D. (2010). Trait goal orientation, self-regulation, and performance: A Meta-analysis. Journal of Business and Psychology, 26(4), 467-483. doi: 10.1007/s10869-010-9201-6
- Chapell, M. S., Blanding, Z. B., Silverstein, M. E., Takahashi, M., Newman, B., Gubi, A., & McCann, N. (2005). Test anxiety and academic performance in undergraduate and graduate students. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97(2), 268-274. doi: 10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1248
- Cho, H. I. (2010). The structural equation modeling analysis of self-efficacy, hope, and depression on academic achievement. The Journal of Child Education, 19(2), 259-271. Retrieved from http://kiss.kstudy.com.oca.korea.ac.kr/thesis/thesis-view.asp?key=2841621
- Flowers, L. O. (2011). Exploring HBCU student academic self-efficacy in online STEM courses. The Journal of Human Resource and Adult Learning, 7(2), 139-145. Retrieved from http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/91708910/exploring-hbcu-student-academic-self-efficacy-online-stem-courses
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39. doi: 10.2307/3151312
- Hardy, L., & Hutchinson, A. (2007). Effects of performance anxiety on effort and performance in rock climbing: A test of processing efficiency theory. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, 20(2), 147-161. doi: 10.1080/10615800701217035
- Joo, Y. J., Chung, A. K., Seol, H. N., & Yi, S. H. (2012). The prediction of mastery-approach goal orientation, task value, and self-regulated learning strategy on academic satisfaction and achievement of cyber engineering university students. Journal of The Institute of Electronics Engineering of Korea, 49-IE(2), 65-74. Retrieved from http://www.dbpia.co.kr.oca.korea.ac.kr/Journal/ArticleDetail/NODE01897075
- Joo, Y. J., Lee, S. Y., & Hong, Y. N. (2011). The structural relationship among perceived instrumentality, mastery goal orientation, self-regulated learning, and academic achievement in cyber university. Journal of Korean Information Education, 15(4), 645-660. Retrieved from http://www.earticle.net.oca.korea.ac.kr/article.aspx?sn=163407
- Jones, A. C., Scanlon, E., & Clough, G. (2013). Mobile learning: Two case studies of supporting inquiry learning in informal and semiformal settings. Computers & Education, 61, 21-32. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2012.08.008
- Kang, M., & Im, T.. (2013). Factors of learner-instructor interaction which predict perceived learning outcomes in online learning environment. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 29(3), 292-301. doi: 10.1111/jcal.12005
- Kang, M., & Lim, K. (2013). Structural analyses on the effects of self-regulated learning and learning motivation on learner-instructor interactions and academic performance in college learning environments with e-learning contents. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 13(11), 1014-1023. doi: 10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.11.1014
- Kaplan, A. M., & Haenlein, M. (2016). Higher education and the digital revolution: About MOOCs, SPOCs, social media, and the cookie monster. Business Horizons, 59(4), 441-450. doi: 10.1016/j.bushor.2016.03.008
- Ku, B. D., Yang, A. K., & Choi, J. J. (2014). A meta-analysis on the effects of academic achievement in self-efficacy: Focused on theses and journal paper in Korea since 2000. Korean Journal of Counseling, 15(5), 1979-2000. Retrieved from http://kiss.kstudy.com.oca.korea.ac.kr/thesis/thesis-view.asp?key=3275189
- Lee, Y. H. (2003). Investigating the relationships among goal orientation, self-regulated learning strategies and academic achievement in online inquiry-based learning (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul. Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr.oca.korea.ac.kr
- Lee, Y. C. (2006). An empirical investigation into factors influencing the adoption of an e-learning system. Online Information Review, 30(5), 517-541. doi: 10.1108/14684520610706406
- Lee, S. J., & Shin, K. H. (2013). Effect of achievement goal directivity and self-regulated learning strategy on the level of learning achievement. Journal of Digital Convergence, 11(12), 829-834. doi: 10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.829
- Levy, Y. (2007). Comparing dropouts and persistence in e-learning courses. Computers & Education, 48(2), 185-204. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2004.12.004
- Lim, K., Kang. M., & Park, S. Y. (2016). Structural relationships of environments, individuals, and learning outcomes in Korean online university settings. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 17(4). doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v17i4.2500
- Mandler, G., & Sarason, S. B. (1952). A study of anxiety and learning. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 47(2), 166-173. doi: 10.1037/h0062855
- McGregor, H. A., & Elliot, A. J. (2002). Achievement goals as predictors of achievement-relevant processes prior to task engagement. Journal of Educational Psychology, 94(2), 381-395. doi: 10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1991
- Morris, L. W., Davis, M. A., & Hutchings, C. H. (1981). Cognitive and emotional components of anxiety: Literature review and a revised worry-emotionality scale. Journal of Educational psychology, 73(4), 541. doi: 10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.521
- National IT Industry Promotion Agency. (2015). 2013-2014 e-learning White Paper. Jincheon, North Chungcheong Province: Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy. Retrieved from http://www.iita.re.kr/board/boardView.it?boardNo=79&contentNo=54&menuNo=294&gubn=&page=1®istDate=
- National IT Industry Promotion Agency. (2016). 2015 Survey of Korean e-Learning Industry. Jincheon, North Chungcheong Province: Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy. Retrieved from https://www.nipa.kr/board/boardView.it
- Paechter, M., Maier, B., & Macher, D. (2010). Students' expectations of, and experiences in e-learning: Their relation to learning achievements and course satisfaction. Computers & Education, 54(1), 222-229. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2009.08.005
- Park, I & Han, I. (2013). The effects of goal orientation, motivation and self-concept on learning flow in adult learners. CNU Journal of Educational Studies, 1, 151-178.
- Piccoli, G., Ahmad, R., & Ives, B. (2001). Web-based virtual learning environments: A research framework and a preliminary assessment of effectiveness in basic IT skills training. MIS Quarterly, 25(4), 401. doi: 10.2307/3250989
- Pintrich, P. R. (2000). An achievement goal theory perspective on issues in motivation terminology, theory, and research. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25(1), 92-104. doi: 10.1006/ceps.1999.1017
- Pintrich, P. R., & De Groot, E. V. (1990). Motivational and self-regulated learning components of classroom academic performance. Journal of Educational Psychology, 82(1), 33. doi: 10.1037//0022-06184.108.40.206
- Puzziferro, M. (2008). Online technologies self-efficacy and self-regulated learning as predictors of final grade and satisfaction in college-level online courses. American Journal of Distance Education, 22(2), 72-89. doi: 10.1080/08923640802039024
- Segars, A. H., & Grover, V. (1998). Strategic information systems planning success: An investigation of the construct and its measurement. MIS Quarterly, 22(2), 139. doi: 10.2307/249393
- Şen, Ş. (2016). The relationship between secondary school students' self-regulated learning skills and Chemistry achievement. Journal of Baltic Science Education, 15(3), 312-324. Retrieved from http://www.scientiasocialis.lt/jbse/files/pdf/vol15/312-324.Sen_JBSE_Vol.15_No.3.pdf
- Shin, W. S., & Kang, M. (2016). The use of a mobile learning management system at an online university and its effect on learning satisfaction and achievement. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 16(3). doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v16i3.1984
- Spielberger, C. D., Gonzalez, H. P., Taylor, C. J., Anton, W. D., Algaze, B., Ross, G. K., & Westberry, L. G. (1980). Test anxiety inventory. Palo Alto. CA: Mind Garden, Inc.
- Sung, Y.-T., Chao, T.-Y., & Tseng, F.-L. (2016). Reexamining the relationship between test anxiety and learning achievement: An individual-differences perspective. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 46, 241-252. doi: 10.1016/j.cedpsych.2016.07.001
- Zeidner, M. (1998). Test anxiety: The state of the art. New York: Plenum Press.
- Zimmerman, B. J., Bandura, A., & Martinez-Pons, M. (1992). Self-motivation for academic attainment: The role of self-efficacy beliefs and personal goal setting. American Educational Research Journal, 29(3), 663-676. doi: 10.3102/00028312029003663
- Zimmerman, B. J. (2000). Self-efficacy: An essential motive to learn. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25(1), 82-91. doi: 10.1006/ceps.1999.1016
- Wang, C.H., Shannon, D. M., & Ross, M. E. (2013). Students' characteristics, self-regulated learning, technology self-efficacy, and course outcomes in online learning. Distance Education, 34(3), 302-323. doi: 10.1080/01587919.2013.835779
- Womble, J. C. (2007). E-learning: The relationship among learner satisfaction, self-efficacy, and usefulness (Doctoral dissertation ). Retrieved from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/119496/
- Yukselturk, E., & Bulut, S. (2007). Predictors for student success in an online course. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 10(2). Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/jeductechsoci.10.2.71.pdf?seq=1#page_scan_tab_content