In the race towards achieving the Education 2030 agenda, open educational resources (OER) act as a key enabler for sustainable development goal 4 (SDG4). Leading to the 2014 Regional Focal Points Meeting, Commonwealth of Learning’s (COL) Focal Point for Tonga had identified top priorities for the country where COL can further support the national agenda till 2021. Based on these needs, the Strategic OER Implementation Project in Tonga was initiated by COL in response to a request by the Ministry of Education and Training (MET) of Tonga. The project aims to assist MET in (a) developing a framework for fully utilizing the new fiber optic network infrastructure to deliver online learning to Tongans distributed in the 45 islands; and (b) improve the chances of sustainable livelihoods for Tongan youth by training them in life skills tailored to higher education and employment opportunities in Australia and New Zealand. This paper details the use of the horizontal framework for OER mainstreaming and the OER mainstreaming checklist within this project. The novelty of this project is its approach to mainstreaming OER at an institution in a systemic manner. The contribution this paper makes is to provide a proven plan for sustainable OER mainstreaming in a development setting.
- Open Education,
- Open Educational Resources,
- OER Mainstreaming,
- OER Mainstreaming Checklist,
- OER policy
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Abeywardena, I. S. (2017). An empirical framework for mainstreaming OER in an academic institution. Asian Association of Open Universities Journal, 12 (2), 230-242.
- Commonwealth of Learning. (2015). Tonga 2012-2015: Country report. Burnaby: COL. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/11599/995
- Commonwealth of Learning. (2016a). 2016 Kuala Lumpur declaration. Kuala Lumpur: 8th Pan-Commonwealth Forum. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/11599/2661
- Commonwealth of Learning. (2016b). Institutional OER policy template. Burnaby: COL. Retrieved from http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/2361
- Commonwealth of Learning. (2017). Open educational resources: From commitment to action. Burnaby: COL. Retrieved from http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/2789
- Commonwealth of Learning. (2018). About the commonwealth of learning. Retrieved from https://www.col.org/about/what-commonwealth-learning
- Index Mundi. (2018, January 20). Tonga demographics profile 2018. Retrieved from indexmundi.com: https://www.indexmundi.com/tonga/demographics_profile.html
- Kaitani, M., & McMurray, C. (2006). Tonga. A situation analysis of children, women and youth. Fiji: UNICEF Pacific Ofiice. Retrieved from https://www.unicef.org/pacificislands/TONGAN_SITAN.pdf
- Kasinathan, G., & Ranganathan, S. (2017). Creating and repurposing OER using FOSS: A how-to guide for teachers and learners. Burnaby: Commonwealth of Learning. Retrieved from http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/2764
- Ministry of Education and Training. (2017, March 15). Tonga institute of education. Retrieved from http://www.edu.gov.to/divisions/tioe-tonga-institute-of-education
- Phalachandra, B., & Abeywardena, I. S. (2016). Open educational resources in the commonwealth 2016. Burnaby: Commonwealth of Learning. Retrieved from http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/2441
- Smulders, D. (2016). External review toolkit for odl and elearning courses. Burnaby: Commonwealth of Learning. Retrieved from http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/2338
- The Heritage Foundation. (2018). 2018 index of economic freedom. Retrieved from https://www.heritage.org/index/country/tonga
- The Open University of Sri Lanka. (2017). Instructional video production for teaching and learning. Burnaby: COL. Retrieved from http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/2748
- The Tonga Institute of Higher Education. (2018). The Tonga institute of higher education. Retrieved from http://www.tihe.org
- UNESCO. (2015). Education 2030: Incheon declaration and framework for action. Incheon, South Korea: Author. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0024/002432/243278e.pdf
- UNESCO. (2017). Ljubljana OER action plan 2017. Paris: UNESCO. Retrieved from https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/ljubljana_oer_action_plan_2017.pdf