The evaluation of online courses is an important step in providing quality online courses. There are a variety of national and statewide evaluation tools used to help guide instructors and course designers of online courses (e.g., Quality Matters, OSCQR). This paper discusses a newly released course evaluation instrument from Canvas, the second largest learning management system (LMS) used by higher education institutions in the United States. The characteristics and unique features of the Canvas Course Evaluation Checklist (CCEC) are discussed. The CCEC is also compared to established national and statewide evaluation instruments. This review is helpful for those interested in online course design and developments in the field of online education.
- course design,
- distance education,
- evaluation instruments,
- online education,
- quality matters
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Baldwin, S. & Ching, Y.-H. (2019). An online course design checklist: Development and users' perceptions. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 31(1), 156-172. doi: 10.1007/s12528-018-9199-8
- Baldwin, S., Ching, Y. H., & Hsu, Y. C. (2018). Online course design in higher education: A review of national and statewide evaluation instruments. TechTrends, 62(3), 46-57. doi: 10.1007/s11528-017-0215-z
- Blackboard. (2017, April 10). Blackboard exemplary course program rubric. Retrieved from https://community.blackboard.com/docs/DOC-3505-blackboard-exemplary-course-program-rubric
- California State University. (2019). CSU QLT course review instrument. Retrieved from http://courseredesign.csuprojects.org/wp/qualityassurance/qlt-informal-review/
- California Virtual Campus-Online Education Initiative. (2018). CVC-OEI course design rubric. Retrieved from https://cvc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/CVC-OEI-Course-Design-Rubric-rev.10.2018.pdf
- CAST. (2019). The UDL guidelines. Retrieved from http://udlguidelines.cast.org
- Edutechnica. (2018, March 4). LMS data-Spring 2018 updates [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://edutechnica.com/2018/03/04/lms-data-spring-2018-updates/
- Edutechnica. (2019, March 17). LMS data-Spring 2019 updates [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://edutechnica.com/2019/03/17/lms-data-spring-2019-updates/
- Gordon, D. (2015, May 19). How UDL leads to personalized learning [Blog post]. eSchool News. Retrieved from https://www.eschoolnews.com/2015/05/19/udl-personalized-939/
- Hall, T., Strangman, N., & Meyer, A. (2014). Differentiated instruction and implications for UDL implementation. Wakefield, MA: National Center on Accessing the General Curriculum. Retrieved from http://aem.cast.org/about/publications/2003/ncac-differentiated-instruction-udl.html#.WvIWky-ZPfY
- Herrington, A., Herrington, J., Oliver, R., Stoney, S. & Willis, J. (2001). Quality guidelines for online courses: The development of an instrument to audit online units. In G. Kennedy, M. Keppell, C. McNaught, & T. Petrovic (Eds.) Meeting at the crossroads: Proceedings of ASCILITE 2001 (pp. 263-270). Melbourne: The University of Melbourne.
- Hill, P. (2016, July 31). MarketsandMarkets: Getting the LMS market wrong [Blog post]. e-Literate. Retrieved from https://mfeldstein.com/marketsandmarkets-getting-lms-market-wrong/
- Hosie, P., Schibeci, R., & Backhaus, A. (2005) A framework and checklists for evaluating online learning in higher education, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 30(5) 539-553. doi: 10.1080/02602930500187097
- Illinois Online Network. (2018). Quality online course initiative. Retrieved from https://www.uis.edu/ion/resources/qoci/
- iNACOL. (2016, February 17). What is personalized learning? [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.inacol.org/news/what-is-personalized-learning/
- Instructure. (2018a, February 14). Canvas used by majority of the top 25 online bachelor's degree programs ranked by U.S. News & World Report [Press release]. Canvas. Retrieved from https://www.canvaslms.com/news/pr/canvas-used-by-majority-of-the-top-25-online-bachelors-degree-programs-ranked-by-u.s.-news-&-world-report&122662
- Instructure. (2018b, June 29). Course evaluation checklist [Blog post]. Canvas. Retrieved from https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2018/06/29/course-evaluation-checklist
- Ismail, A. O., Mahmood, A. K., & Abdelmaboud, A. (2018). Factors influencing academic performance of students in blended and traditional domains. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (iJET), 13(02), 170-187. doi: 10.3991/ijet.v13i02.8031
- Jaschik, S., & Lederman, D. (Eds.). (2018). Inside higher ed’s 2018 survey of faculty attitudes on technology. Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/booklet/2018-survey-faculty-attitudes-technology
- Lane, L. M. (2009). Insidious pedagogy: How course management systems affect teaching. First Monday, 14(10). doi: 10.5210/fm.v14i10.2530
- Lederman, D. (2018, November 7). Online education ascends. Inside digital learning. Inside Higher Education. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/article/2018/11/07/new-data-online-enrollments-grow-and-share-overall-enrollment
- McClaskey, K. (2017, March). Personalization and UDL: A perfect match [Blog post]. ASCD. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar17/vol74/num06/Personalization-and-UDL@-A-Perfect-Match.aspx
- Moore, M. G. (1989). Three types of interaction. American Journal of Distance Education, 3(2), 1-7. doi: 10.1080/08923648909526659
- Quality Matters. (2018). Specific review standards from the QM higher education rubric, sixth edition. Retrieved from https://www.qualitymatters.org/sites/default/files/PDFs/StandardsfromtheQMHigherEducationRubric.pdf
- Rose, D. H., Gravel, J. W., & Gordon, D. T. (2013). Universal design for learning. In L. Florian (Ed.) The SAGE handbook of special education: Two volume set (pp. 475-490). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Retrieved from https://goo.gl/L9ZRQp
- Rose, D. H., & Meyer, A. (2002). Teaching every student in the digital age: Universal design for learning. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Retrieved from https://www.bcpss.org/bbcswebdav/institution/Resources/Summer%20TIMS/Section%205/A%20Teaching%20Every%20Student%20in%20the%20Digital%20Age.pdf
- Seaman, J. E., Allen, I. E., & Seaman, J. (2018). Grade increase: Tracking distance education in the United States. Babson Park, MA: Babson Survey Research Group.
- Shattuck, K. (2013). Results of review of the 2011-2013 research literature. Retrieved from https://www.qualitymatters.org/sites/default/files/research-docs-pdfs/2013-Literature-Review-Summary-Report.pdf
- State University of New York. (2018). OSCQR (3rd ed.). Retrieved from https://bbsupport.sln.suny.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/OSCQR/OSCQR%20Assets/OSCQR%203rd%20Edition.pdf
- U.S. News & World Report. (2018). Best online bachelor's programs. Retrieved from https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/bachelors/rankings
- Vai, M., & Sosulski, K. (2016). Essentials of online course design: A standards-based guide (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.