In addition to conventional modes, teacher education programs in Pakistan are also offered through online and distance education. Teaching practice is a significant component of pre-service teacher education programs. Assessing the quality of teaching practice for pre-service student teachers is important, as these modules train the prospective teachers for their professional teaching careers. Virtual University of Pakistan (VU), an online university, offers pre-service teacher education programs. This research is an investigation into the learning opportunities and practices of VU student teachers in their teaching practice modules. Students enrolled in different teacher education programs served as the population of this study. Those in the fall 2018 semester who were enrolled in teaching practice modules were selected as a sample. Data sources included lesson plans prepared, lessons delivered, administrative and co-curricular duties performed by the students, as well as evaluation reports by supervisors, cooperating teachers, and school principals. There were improvements in the student teachers’ lesson plan formation and their overall learning. Data obtained through personal visits by VU faculty was used to verify and assess actual classroom teaching. Lack of regular attendance and punctuality by student teachers was observed as a result. Internal review of the VU system as it relates to the teaching practice modules was conducted to address any shortcomings in the course(s), its procedures, and its controls. Recommendations for improving the system, such as grading the modules, peer-assessment, and orientation workshops for student teachers are provided, as well as suggestions for developments in the teaching practice modules themselves.
- teaching practice,
- student teachers,
- online and distance education,
- pre-service teacher education programs,
- Abdullah, N.A., & Mirza, M.S. (2018). Entry qualifications of students as predictors of academic performance in various degree programs in distance education setting in Pakistan. Open Praxis, 10(3), 237-247. doi: 10.5944/openpraxis.10.3.848
- Aglazor, G. (2017). The role of teaching practice in teacher education programmes: Designing framework for best practice. Global Journal of Educational Research, 16(2), 101-110. doi: 10.4314/gjedr.v16i2.4
- Aglazor, G. N., & Obi, F. B. (2016). Teaching practice handbook for programmers, students and supervisors. Calabar, Nigeria: University of Calabar Press.
- Anderson, L. W., & Postlethwaite, T. N. (2011). Program evaluation: Large scale and small scale studies. Education policy series. Paris, France: International Institute for Educational Planning.
- Cobb, V. L. (1999). An international comparison of teacher education (ERIC Digest: ED436486). Washington DC: ERIC Clearinghouse on Teaching and Teacher Education.
- Darling-Hammond, L. (2000). How teacher education matters. Journal of Teacher Education, 51(3), 166-173. doi: 10.1177/0022487100051003002
- Government of Pakistan. (2007). Revised white paper on education in pakistan. Islamabad group on education. Islamabad; Planning Commission.
- Higher Education Commission. (2016). Notification on teacher education roadmap. Islamabad, Pakistan: Higher Education Commission.
- Johnstone, A. (2005). Evaluation of teaching: A physical science practice guide. Hull, UK: Higher Education Academy, Physical Science Centre. Retrieved from https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/system/files/ps0073_evaluation_of_teaching_oct_2005.pdf
- Kale, M. (2011). Problems encountered in teaching practice of teachers’ course. Turkish Journal of Educational Sciences, 9(2), 255-280. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/256212
- Kiggundu, E., & Nayimuli, S. (2009). Teaching practice: A make or break phase for student teachers. South African Journal of Education, 29(3), 345-358. doi: 10.15700/saje.v29n3a129
- Liu, P. (2012). Student teaching practice in two elementary teacher preparation programs. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 37(1) 14-34. Retrieved from https://ro.ecu.edu.au/ajte/vol37/iss1/8/
- Mashile, E. (2008). Supply and demand for teachers: Is open and distance learning the answer? Africa Education Review, 5(2), 351-363. doi: 10.1080/18146620802450058
- Mayes, A. S., & Burgess, H. (2011). Open and distance learning for initial teacher education. In P.A. Danaher & A. Umar (Eds.), Perspectives on distance education: Teacher education through open and distance learning (pp. 35-46). Vancouver, BC: Commonwealth of Learning.
- Mtika, P. D. G. (2008). Teaching practice as a component of teacher education in Malawi: An activity theory perspective (Doctoral thesis, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, England). Retrieved from http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/id/eprint/10526
- National Accreditation Council for Teacher Education. (2009). National standards for accreditation of teacher education program. Islambad, Pakistan: National Accreditation Council for Teacher Education. Retrieved from http://www.nacte.org.pk/Download/National_Standards_for_Accreditation.pdf
- National Accreditation Council for Teacher Education. (2016). Teacher education roadmap. Islamabad, Pakistan: National Accreditation Council for Teacher Education. Retrieved from: http://www.nacte.org.pk/#/eventsnews/TeacherEducation/Roadmap
- National Education Policy. (2009). 2009-2015 Educational policy. Islamabad, Pakistan: Ministry of Education, Government of Pakistan.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2018). Education at a glance 2018: OECD indicators. Paris, France: OECD Publishing. doi: 10.1787/eag-2018-en
- Öksüz, Y., & Çevik, C. (2014). Evaluation of prospective teachers and practice classroom teachers opinions of problems encountered in practice schools (Bayburt University sample). Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116, 2909-2914. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.678
- Pinch, K. J. (2009). The importance of evaluation research. Journal of Experiential Education, 31(3), 390-394. doi: 10.1177/105382590803100306
- Reba, A., & Inamullah, H. M. (2014). Perceptions of teacher educators’ regarding teacher education program in KPK Pakistan. Bulletin of Education and Research, 36(2), 1-12. Retrieved from http://pu.edu.pk/images/journal/ier/PDFFILES/1_Amjad%20and%20Inamullah.pdf
- Saphier, J., Haley-Speca, M. A., & Gower, R. R. (2008). The skillful teacher: Building your teaching skills (6th edition). Acton MA: Research for better teaching, Inc.
- Sarıtaş, M. (2007) okul deneyimi I uygulamasının aday öğretmenlere sağladığı yararlar konusundaki görüşlerin değerlendirilmesi [Evaluation of school experience: Implementation of views on the benefits to student teachers]. Uludağ University Journal of Faculty of Education, 20(1), 121-143.
- Surucu, A., Unal, A., & Yildirim, A. (2017). Evaluation of teaching practice course teachers according to opinions of math teacher candidates. International Journal of Research in Education and Science, 3(1), 107-113.
- Tang, S. (2003). Challenge and support: The dynamics of student teachers’ professional learning in the field experience. Teaching and Teacher Education, 19, 483-498. doi: 10.1016/S0742-051X(03)00047-7
- Unal, E., Yamac, A., & Uzun, A. M. (2017). The effect of the teaching practice course on pre-service elementary teachers’ technology integration self-efficacy. Malaysian Online Journal of Educational Technology, 5(3), 39-53. Retrieved from https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1150409
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (2002). Teacher education guidelines: Using open and distance learning-technology, curriculum, cost, evaluation. Paris, France: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- Yahya, S. A., Mansor, R., & Abdullah, M. H. (2017). Analysis of teaching practice assessment methods for pre-service teachers. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 7(3), 890-903. doi: 10.6007/IJARBSS/v7-i3/2957
- Yuksel, I. (2010). How to conduct a qualitative program evaluation in the light of Eisner’s educational connoisseurship and criticism model. Turkish Online Journal of Qualitative Inquiry, 1(2), 78-83. doi: 10.17569/tojqi.70817