The purpose of this research is to examine the relationship between factors leading to student loyalty in open and distance learning universities. Specifically, this research explores the relationship between perceived service quality, perceived e-service quality, and university image as mediators of student loyalty in Open University Malaysia (OUM). Data were collected from 16 OUM learning centres throughout Malaysia. A purposive stratified convenience sampling technique was applied and a sample size of 752 respondents was obtained. The data indicated that perceived service quality has a positive and significant relationship with both university image and student loyalty. Similarly, it was found that perceived e-service quality has a positive significant relationship with both university image and student loyalty. University image acted as a mediator both in the relationship between perceived service quality and student loyalty, and in the relationship between perceived e-service quality and student loyalty.
- perceived service quality,
- perceived e-service quality,
- university image,
- student loyalty
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Ali, H. (2019). Measurement of e-services quality: An empirical study of University of Bahrain. Education and Information Technologies, 24, 1907-1924. doi: 10.1007/s10639-018-9775-6
- Alves, H., & Raposo, M. (2010). The influence of university image on student behaviour. International Journal of Educational Management, 24(1), 73-85. doi: 10.1108/09513541011013060
- Alzoubi, H.M., Abdo, M., Al-Gasaymeh, A., & Alzoubi, A.A. (2019). An empirical study of e-service quality and its impact on achieving a value added. Journal of Business & Retail Management Research, 13(4), 138-145. doi: 10.24052/jbrmr/v13is04/art-12
- Anderson, J.C., & Gerbing, D.W. (1988). Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach. Psychological Bulletin, 103(3), 411-423. doi: 10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- Arbuckle, J., & Wothke, W. (1999). AMOS 4.0 user’s guide. Chicago, IL: Smallwaters Corporation.
- Ataburo, H., Muntaka, A.S., & Quansah, E.K. (2017). Linkages among e-service quality, satisfaction, and usage of e-services within higher educational environments. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 7(3), 10-26. doi: 10.18533/ijbsr.v7i3.1040
- Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., & Asri, M.A.M. (2015). Parametric and non parametric approach in structural equation modeling (SEM): The application of bootstrapping. Modern Applied Science, 9(9), 58-67. doi: 10.5539/mas.v9n9p58
- Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., & Mamat, M. (2015). The Likert scale analysis using parametric based structural equation modeling (SEM ). Computational Methods in Social Sciences, 4(1), 13-21.
- Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Mohamad, M., & Asri, I.A. (2016). An evaluation of measurement model for medical tourism research: The confirmatory factor analysis approach. International Journal of Tourism Policy, 6(1), 29-45. doi: 10.1504/IJTP.2015.075141
- Bagozzi, R.P., & Yi, Y. (1988). On the evaluation of structural equation models. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 16(1), 74-94. doi: 10.1007/BF02723327
- Barnes, S.J., & Vidgen, R.T. (2002). An integrative approach to the assessment of e-commerce quality. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 3(3), 114-127. Retrieved from http://www.jecr.org/node/271
- Baumgartner, H., & Homburg, C. (1996). Applications of structural equation modeling in marketing and consumer research: A review. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 13(2), 139-161. doi: 10.1016/0167-8116(95)00038-0
- Bloemer, J., & de Ruyter, K. (1998). On the relationship between store image, store satisfaction and store loyalty. European Journal of Marketing, 32(5/6), 499-513. doi: 10.1108/03090569810216118
- Byrne, B.M. (2010). Structural equation modeling with AMOS: Basic concepts, applications, and programming (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Chen, C.-H., & Lee, H.-Y. (2008). Empirical analysis of the customer loyalty problem in the international logistics market. WSEAS Transaction on Business Economics, 4(5), 113-123.
- DeVellis, R.F. (2016). Scale development theory and applications (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Sage Publications.
- Doll, W.J., Xia, W., & Torkzadeh, G. (1994). A confirmatory factor analysis of the end-user computing satisfaction instrument. MIS Quarterly, 18(4), 453-461. doi: 10.2307/249524
- Eskildsen, J.K., Dahlgaard, J.J., & Norgaard, A. (1999). The impact of creativity and learning on business excellence. Total Quality Management, 10(4-5), 523-530. doi: 10.1080/0954412997488
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D.F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. doi: 10.2307/3151312
- Gerbing, D.W., & Anderson, J.C. (1988). An updated paradigm for scale development incorporating unidimensionality and its assessment. Journal of Marketing Research, 25(2), 186-192. doi: 10.2307/3172650
- Grapragasem, S., Krishnan, A., & Mansor, A.N. (2014). Current trends in Malaysian higher education and the effect on education policy and practice: An overview. International Journal of Higher Education, 3(1), 85-93. doi: 10.5430/ijhe.v3n1p85
- Grönroos, C. (1984). A service quality model and its marketing implications. European Journal of Marketing, 18(4), 36-44. doi: 10.1108/EUM0000000004784
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J., & Anderson, R.E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Hassan, S., Shamsudin, M.F., Hasim, M.A., Mustapha, I., Jaafar, J., & Adruthdin, K.F. (2019). Mediating effect of corporate image and students’ satisfaction on the relationship between service quality and students’ loyalty in TVET HLIs. Asian Academy of Management Journal, 24(1), 93-105. doi: 10.21315/aamj2019.24.s1.7
- Helgesen, Ø., & Nesset, E. (2007). What accounts for students’ loyalty? Some field study evidence. International Journal of Educational Management, 21(2), 126-143. doi: 10.1108/09513540710729926
- Hennig-Thurau, T., Langer, M.F., & Hansen, U. (2001). Modeling and managing student loyalty: An approach based on the concept of relationship quality. Journal of Service Research, 3(4), 331-344. doi: 10.1177/109467050134006
- Hom, P.W., Griffeth, R.W., Palich, L.E., & Bracker, J.S. (1999). Revisiting met expectations as a reason why realistic job previews work. Personnel Psychology, 52(1), 97-112. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-6570.1999.tb01815.x
- Huang, C.-C., Yen, S.-W., Liu, C.-Y., & Huang, P.-C. (2014). The relationship among corporate social responsibility, service quality, corporate image and purchase intention. International Journal of Organizational Innovation, 6(3), 68-84.
- Johnson, M., Gustafsson, A., Andreassen, T.W., Lervik, L., & Cha, J. (2001). The evolution and future of national customer satisfaction index models. Journal of Economic Psychology, 22(2), 217-245. doi: 10.1016/S0167-4870(01)00030-7
- Kettinger, W.J., & Lee, C.C. (2005). Zones of tolerance: Alternative scales for measuring information systems service quality. MIS Quarterly, 29(4), 607-621. doi: 10.2307/25148702
- Kline, R. B. (2005). Principles and practices of structural equation modeling (2nd ed.). The Guilford Press.
- Khairani, A.Z. bin, & Razak, N. bin A. (2013). Assessing factors influencing students’ choice of Malaysian public university: A Rasch model analysis. International Journal of Applied Psychology, 3(1), 19-24. Received from http://article.sapub.org/10.5923.j.ijap.20130301.04.html
- Kopalle, P.K., & Lehmann, D.R. (2001). Strategic management of expectations: The role of disconfirmation sensitivity and perfectionism. Journal of Marketing Research, 38(3), 386-394. doi: 10.1509/jmkr.38.3.386.18862
- Lemmink, J., Schuijf, A., & Streukens, S. (2003). The role of corporate image and company employment image in explaining application intentions. Journal of Economic Psychology, 24(1), 1-15. doi: 10.1016/S0167-4870(02)00151-4
- Li, F. (2018). The expansion of higher education and the returns of distance education in China. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(4), 242-256. doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v19i4.2881
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.-M. (2019). Factors related to student persistence in Open Universities: Changes over the years. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 20(4), 133-151. doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v20i4.4103
- Lievens, F., Van Hoye, G., & Anseel, F. (2007). Organizational identity and employer image: Towards a unifying framework. British Journal of Management, 18, 45-58. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2007.00525.x
- Manohar, S. (2018). Mediation effect of service quality between service innovation and customer word-of-mouth in Indian higher education system. International Journal of Business Excellence, 16(2), 127-148. doi: 10.1504/IJBEX.2018.094701
- Nguyen, N., & Leblanc, G. (2001). Corporate image and corporate reputation in customers’ retention decisions in services. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 8(4), 227-236. doi: 10.1016/S0969-6989(00)00029-1
- Nsamba, A. (2019). Maturity levels of student support e-services within an open distance e-learning university. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 20(4), 61-78. doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v20i4.4113
- Oliver, R.L. (1980). A cognitive model of the antecedents and consequences of satisfaction decisions. Journal of Marketing Research, 17(4), 460-469. doi: 10.2307/3150499
- Oliver, R.L., Balakrishnan, P.V. (Sundar), & Barry, B. (1994). Outcome satisfaction in negotiation: A test of expectancy disconfirmation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 60(2), 252-275. doi: 10.1006/obhd.1994.1083
- Oliver, R.L., & DeSarbo, W.S. (1988). Response determinants in satisfaction judgments. Journal of Consumer Research, 14(4), 495-507. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/2489156
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V.A., & Berry, L.L. (1985). A conceptual model of service quality and its quality and implications for future research. Journal of Marketing, 49(4), 41-50. doi: 10.2307/1251430
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V.A., & Berry, L.L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 12-40. Retrieved from https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1989-10632-001
- Pedro, E., Mendes, L., & Lourenço, L. (2018). Perceived service quality and students’ satisfaction in higher education: The influence of teaching methods. International Journal for Quality Research, 12(1), 165-192. doi: 10.18421/IJQR12.01-10
- Ribbink, D., van Riel, A.C.R., Liljander, V., & Streukens, S. (2004). Comfort your online customer: Quality, trust and loyalty on the internet. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 14(6), 446-456. doi: 10.1108/09604520410569784
- Richard, J.E., & Zhang, A. (2012). Corporate image, loyalty, and commitment in the consumer travel industry. Journal of Marketing Management, 28(5-6), 568-593. doi: 10.1080/0267257X.2010.549195
- Riordan, C.M., Gatewood, R.D., & Bill, J.B. (1997). Corporate image: Employee reactions and implications for managing corporate social performance. Journal of Business Ethics, 16(4), 401-412. doi: 10.1023/A:1017989205184
- Sheppard, B.H., Hartwick, J., & Warshaw, P.R. (1988). The theory of reasoned action: A meta-analysis of past research with recommendations for modifications and future research. Journal of Consumer Research, 15(3), 325-343. doi: 10.1086/209170
- Shrum, L.J., Liu, M., Nespoli, M., & Lowrey, T.M. (2013). Persuasion in the marketplace: How theories of persuasion apply to marketing and advertising. In J.P. Dillard & L. Shen (Eds.), The SAGE handbook of persuasion: Developments in theory and practice (pp. 314-330). Thousand Oaks, CA, US: Sage Publications.
- Siddiqi, K.O. (2011). Interrelations between service quality attributes, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty in the retail banking sector in Bangladesh. International Journal of Business and Management, 6(3), 12-36. doi: 10.5539/ijbm.v6n3p12
- Sulehri, N.A., & Ahmed, M. (2017). Theory of reasoned action and retail agglomerations buying behavior for urban consumers. The Business and Management Review, 9(2), 263-266. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323028031_Theory_of_reasoned_action_and_retail_agglomerations_buying_behavior_for_urban_consumers
- Sultan, P., & Wong, H.Y. (2012). Service quality in a higher education context: An integrated model. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 24(5), 755-784. doi: 10.1108/13555851211278196
- Teeroovengadum, V., Kamalanabhan, T.J., & Seebaluck, A.K. (2016). An analysis of higher education service quality in Mauritius using HESQUAL. International Journal of Business Research, 16(2), 89-104. doi: 10.18374/IJBR-16-2.7
- Wantara, P. (2015). The relationships among service quality, customer satisfaction, and customer loyalty in library services. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 5(1), 264-269. Retrieved from https://www.econjournals.com/index.php/ijefi/article/view/1390/pdf
- Yoo, B., & Donthu, N. (2001). Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale. Journal of Business Research, 52(1), 1-14. doi: 10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00098-3