With the rapid growth of online learning and the increased attention paid to student attrition in online programs, much research has been aimed at studying the effectiveness of online education to improve students’ online learning experience and student retention. Utilizing the online learning literature as a multi-faceted theoretical framework, the study developed and employed a new survey instrument. The Self-Directed Online Learning Scale (SDOLS) was used to examine graduate student perceptions of effectiveness of online learning environments as demonstrated by their ability to take charge of their own learning, and to identify key factors in instructional design for effective improvements. The study applied the Rasch rating scale model to evaluate and validate SDOLS through a psychometric lens to establish the reliability and validity of SDOLS. Results from Rasch analysis addressed two research questions. First, evidence was found to generally support the new instrument as being psychometrically sound but three problematic items were also identified as grounds for future improvement of SDOLS. Second, the study assessed the importance of various factors as measured by the SDOLS items in contributing to students’ ability to self-manage their own online learning. Finally, the new instrument is expected to contribute to the work of various stakeholders in online education and can serve to improve students’ online learning experience and effectiveness, increase online retention rates, and reduce online dropouts.
- self-directed learning,
- online teaching and learning,
- scale development,
- Rasch analysis
- Abu-Moghli, F. A., Khalaf, I. A., Halabi, J. O., & Wardam, L. A. (2005): Jordanian baccalaureate nursing students’ perception of their learning styles. International Nursing Review, 52(1), 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2004.00235.x
- Beach, P. (2017). Self-directed online learning: A theoretical model for understanding elementary teachers’ online learning experiences. Teaching and Teacher Education, 61, 60-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2016.10.007
- Bond, T. G., & Fox, C. M. (2015). Applying the Rasch model (3rd. ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Bonk, C. J., Lee, M. M., Kou, X., Xu, S., & Sheu, F. R. (2015). Understanding the self-directed online learning preferences, goals, achievements, and challenges of MIT OpenCourseWare subscribers. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 18(2), 349-368. Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rrj6XQ5uTWpVR2UH2EvLWI1xvEFAnhcB/view
- Cadorin, L. Bortoluzzi, G., & Palese, A. (2013). The self-rating scale of self-directed learning (SRSSDL): A factor analysis of the Italian version. Nurse Education Today, 33(12), 1511-1516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.04.010
- Cadorin, L., Bressan, V., & Palese, A. (2017). Instruments evaluating the self-directed learning abilities among nursing students and nurses: A systematic review of psychometric properties. BMC Medical Education, 17. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-017-1072-3
- Cadorin, L., Suter, N., Saiani, L. Williamson, S. N., & Palese, A. (2010). Self-rating scale of self-directed learning (SRSSDL): Preliminary results from the Italian validation process. Journal of Research in Nursing, 16(4), 363-373. https://doi.org/10.1177/1744987110379790
- Caffarella, R. (1993). Self-directed learning. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, 57, 25-35. https://doi.org/10.1002/ace.36719935705
- Cheng, S. F., Kuo, C. L., Lin, K. C., & Lee-Hsieh, J. (2010). Development and preliminary testing of a self-rating instrument to measure self-directed learning ability of nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 47(9), 1152-1158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2010.02.002
- Choi, J., Walters, A., & Hoge, P. (2017). Self-reflection and math performance in an online learning environment. Online Learning Journal, 21(4), 79-102. http://dx.doi.org/10.24059/olj.v21i4.1249
- Chou, P.-N., & Chen, W.-F. (2008). Exploratory study of the relationship between self-directed learning and academic performance in a web-based learning environment. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 11(1), 1-11. Retrieved from https://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/spring111/chou111.html
- Creswell, J. W. (2013). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Devlin, A. S. (2006). Research methods: Planning, conducting and presenting research. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning.
- Fisher, M., King, J., & Tague, G. (2001). Development of a self-directed learning readiness scale for nursing education. Nurse Education Today, 21(7), 516-525. https://doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2001.0589
- Garrison, D. R. (1997). Self-directed learning: Toward a comprehensive model. Adult Education Quarterly, 48(1), 18-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/074171369704800103
- Guglielmino, L. M. (1977 ). Development of the self-directed learning readiness scale (Doctoral dissertation). Dissertation Abstracts International, 38, 6467A.
- Heo, J., & Han, S. (2018). Effects of motivation, academic stress and age in predicting self-directed learning readiness (SDLR): Focused on online college students. Education and Information Technologies, 23(1), 61-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-017-9585-2
- Hiemstra, R. (1994). Self-directed learning. In T. Husen & T. N. Postlethwaite (Eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Education (2nd ed.). Oxford: Pergamon Press.
- Hone, K. S., & Said, G. R. (2016). Exploring the factors affecting MOOC retention: A survey study. Computers & Education, 98, 157-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2016.03.016
- Hyland, N., & Kranzow, J. (2011). Faculty and student views of using digital tools to enhance self-directed learning and critical thinking. International Journal of Self-Directed Learning, 8(2), 11-27. Retrieved from https://6c02e432-3b93-4c90-8218-8b8267d6b37b.filesusr.com/ugd/dfdeaf_3ddb1e07e0984947b0db3e39a2be19a1.pdf
- Jung, O. B., Lim, J. H., Jung, S. H., Kim, L. G., & Yoon, J. E. (2012). The development and validation of a self-directed learning inventory for elementary school students. The Korean Journal of Human Development, 19(4), 227-245.
- Kim, R., Olfman, L., Ryan, T., & Eryilmaz, E. (2014). Leveraging a personalized system to improve self-directed learning in online educational environments. Computers & Education, 70, 150-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2013.08.006
- Knowles, M. S. (1975). Self-directed learning: A guide for learners and teachers. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall/Cambridge.
- Linacre, J. M. (2018). A user’s guide to Winsteps® Ministeps Rasch model measurement computer program user's guide. Beaverton, OR: Winsteps.com. Retrieved from https://www.winsteps.com/a/Winsteps-Manual.pdf
- Loizzo, J., Ertmer, P. A., Watson, W. R., & Watson, S. L. (2017). Adult MOOC learners as self-directed: Perceptions of motivation, success, and completion. Online Learning, 21(2). http://dx.doi.org/10.24059/olj.v21i2.889
- Long, C., Wendt, H., & Dunne, T. (2011). Applying Rasch measurement in mathematics education research: Steps towards a triangulated investigation into proficiency in the multiplicative conceptual field. Educational Research and Evaluation, 17(5), 387-407. https://doi.org/10.1080/13803611.2011.632661
- Long, H. B. (1977). [Review of the book Self-directed learning: A guide for learners and teachers, by M. S. Knowles.]. Group & Organization Studies, 2(2), 256-257. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960117700200220
- Lounsbury, J. W., & Gibson, L.W. (2006). Personal style inventory: A personality measurement system for work and school settings. Knoxville, TN: Resource Associates.
- Mayes, R., Luebeck, J., Ku, H. Y., Akarasriworn, C., & Korkmaz, Ö. (2011). Themes and strategies for transformative online instruction: A review of literature and practice. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 12(3), 151-166.
- Messick, S. (1989). Validity. In R. L. Linn (Ed.), Educational Measurement (3rd ed., pp. 13-103). New York, NY: Macmillan.
- Mundfrom, D. J., Shaw, D. G., & Ke, T. L. (2005). Minimum sample size recommendations for conducting factor analyses. International Journal of Testing, 5(2), 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327574ijt0502_4
- Oddi, L. F. (1986). Development and validation of an instrument to identify self-directed continuing learners. Adult Education Quarterly, 36, 97-107. https://doi.org/10.1177/0001848186036002004
- Palloff, R. M., & Pratt, K. (2007). Building online learning communities: Effective strategies for the virtual classroom (2nd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Wiley & Sons.
- Prior, D. D., Mazanov, J., Meacheam, D., Heaslip, G., & Hanson, J. (2016). Attitude, digital literacy and self efficacy: Flow-on effects for online learning behavior. The Internet and Higher Education, 29, 91-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2016.01.001
- Ren, W., Bradley, K. D., & Lumpp, J. K. (2008). Applying the Rasch model to evaluate an implementation of the Kentucky Electronics Education project. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 17(6), 618-625. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-008-9132-4
- Rovai, A. P., Ponton, M. K., Wighting, M. J., & Baker, J. D. (2007). A comparative analysis of student motivation in traditional classroom and e-learning courses. International Journal on E-Learning, 6(3), 413-432.
- Royal, K. D., & Elahi, F. (2011). Psychometric properties of the Death Anxiety Scale (DAS) among terminally ill cancer patients. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 29(4), 359-371. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07347332.2011.582639
- Royal, K. D., Gilliland, K. O., & Kernick, E. T. (2014). Using Rasch measurement to score, evaluate, and improve examinations in an anatomy course. Anatomical Science Education, 7(6), 450-460. https://doi.org/10.1002/ase.1436
- Royal, K. D., & Gonzalez, L. M. (2016). An evaluation of the psychometric properties of an advising survey for medical and professional program students. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 6(1), 195-203. https://doi.org/10.5539/jedp.v6n1p195
- Sahoo, S. (2016). Finding self directed learning readiness and fostering self directed learning through weekly assessment of self directed learning topics during undergraduate clinical training in ophthalmology. International Journal of Applied and Basic Medical Research, 6(3), 166-169. https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-516X.186959
- Sawatsky, A. (2017). Instruments for measuring self-directed learning and self-regulated learning in health professions education: A systematic review. Paper presented at the 2017 annual meeting of the Society of Directors of Research in Medical Education (SDRME), Minneapolis, MN.
- Song, L., & Hill, J. R. (2007). A conceptual model for understanding self-directed learning in online environments. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 6(1), 27-42.
- Su, J. (2016). Successful graduate students’ perceptions of characteristics of online learning environments (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN.
- Suh, H. N., Wang, K. T., & Arterberry, B. J. (2015). Development and initial validation of the Self-Directed Learning Inventory with Korean college students. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 33(7), 687-697. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734282914557728
- Trinidad, S., Aldridge, J., & Fraser, B. (2005). Development, validation and use of the Online Learning Environment Survey. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 21(1), 60-81. https://doi.org/10.14742/ajet.1343
- Watkins, R., Leigh, D., & Triner, D. (2004). Assessing readiness for E-learning. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 17(4), 66-79.
- Wiley, K. (1983). Effects of a self-directed learning project and preference for structure on self-directed learning readiness. Nursing Research 32(3), 181-185. Retrieved from https://journals.lww.com/nursingresearchonline/Abstract/1983/05000/Effects_of_a_Self_Directed_Learning_Project_and.11.aspx
- Williamson, S. N. (2007). Development of a self-rating scale of self-directed learning. Nurse Researcher, 14(2), 66-83. https://doi.org/10.7748/nr2007.01.14.2.66.c6022
- Wilson, M. (2005). Constructing measures: An item response modeling approach. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Wilson, M., Gochyyev, P., & Scalise, K. (2016). Assessment of learning in digital interactive social networks: A learning analytics approach. Online Learning Journal, 20(2), 97-119. Retrieved from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1105928.pdf