The essay is a study of how critical editions work, whether in paper-based forms or in electronic forms. The first section – more than half the essay – gives a close examination to J. C. C. Mays’s superb recent (Bollingen) edition of Coleridge’s poetry. This analysis establishes the terms for investigating the opportunities that digital technology supplies for scholars pursuing a close study of the socio-historical character of literary works. This investigation pivots around the seminal work of D. F. McKenzie, whose theory of the social-text edition argues for a more comprehensive kind of editorial method. This essay argues that the method can be best realized through digital resources. It concludes with a discussion of The Rossetti Archive as a “proof of concept” experiment to test the social-text approach to editorial method.
- Beissner, Friedrich. Hölderlin. Reden und Aufsätze. Böhlau: Weimar, 1961.
- ———, ed., Hölderlin. Sämtliche Werke. 7 vols. Cotta: Stuttgart, 1943-1985.
- Eaves, Morris, Robert Essick, Joseph Viscomi, eds. The William Blake Archive (http://www.blakearchive.org/)
- Gabler, Hans Walter et al. Ulysses. A Critical and Synoptic Edition. Vols. 1-3. Garland Publishing Co.: New York, 1984.
- Greetham, David, ed. Scholarly Editing. A Guide to Research. MLA: New York, 1995.
- ———. Textual Scholarship: An Introduction. Garland Publishing Co.: New York, 1992.
- ———. Theories of the Text. Oxford UP: Oxford, 1999.
- Howard-Hill, T. H. “Theory and Praxis in the Social Approach to Editing,” TEXT 5 (1991), 31-46
- Mays, J. C. C., ed. The Collected Works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge: Poetical Works. Vols. I-III, Parts 1, 2. Princeton UP: Princeton, 2001.
- McGann, Jerome, ed. The Complete Writings and Pictures of Dante Gabriel Rossetti. A Hypermedia Research Archive (http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/rossetti/)
- ———. Radiant Textuality. Literature after the World Wide Web. Palgrave/St Martins: New York, 2001.
- McKenzie, D. F. Bibliography and the Sociology of Texts. The Panizzi Lectures 1985. The British Library: London, 1986.
- ———. Making Meaning. “Printers of the Mind” and Other Essays. Ed. Peter D. McDonald and Michael Suarez, SJ. U. of Massachusetts Press: Amherst and Boston, 2002.
- Price, Ken and Ed Folsom, eds. The Walt Whitman Archive (http://www.iath.virginia.edu/whitman/)
- Shillingsburg, Peter. Scholarly Editing in the Computer Age. Theory and Practice. Third Edition. U. of Michigan Press: Ann Arbor, 1996.
- Sutherland, Kathryn, ed. Electronic Text. Investigations in Method and Theory. Clarendon Press: Oxford, 1997.
- Tanselle, Thomas. “Textual Criticism and Literary Sociology,” Studies in Bibliography 44 (1991), 83-143.