Experiential learning offers students the opportunity to gain practical experience with a community or industry partner in their field of study. During the Covid-19 pandemic, many workplaces transitioned from in-person to at-home work environments, and those that did not, often reduced or removed access for non-essential personnel. In this report from the field, multiple viewpoints are shared that emerged from an interdisciplinary panel on experiential learning in the June 2022 Spotlight Series hosted by Teaching and Learning Support Services at the University of Ottawa. These voices “from the field” shed light on the impact of uncertain times on experiential learning and, collectively, focus on identifying challenges, implementing strategies and good practices, and sharing recommendations moving forward.
- experiential learning,
- higher education,
- community engagement
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Butler, M. (2022). Interdisciplinary experiential learning during COVID-19: Lessons learned and reflections for the future. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, 12(2), 1–9.
- Castro, M. R., Calthorpe, L. M., Fogh, S. E., McAllister, S., Johnson, C. L., Isaacs, E. D., Ishizaki, A., Kozas, A., Lo, D., Rennke, S., & Davis, J. (2021). Lessons from learners: Adapting medical student education during and post COVID-19. Academic Medicine, 96(12), 1671.
- Hager, N. M., Judah, M. R., & Milam, A. L. (2020). Loneliness and depression in college students during the COVID-19 pandemic: The role of boredom and repetitive negative thinking as mediators. Research Square, 1–37. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-101533/v2
- Kolb, D. A. (1984). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development. Prentice Hall.
- Krendl, A. C. (2021). Changes in stress predict worse mental health outcomes for college students than does loneliness; evidence from the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of American College of Health, 1(1), 40–43. https://doi:10.1080/07448481.2021.1887198
- Leite, S. N., Rover, M. R. M., Soares, L., & Matheus, F. C. (2020). Losses and gains in experiential education in a university pharmacy in Brazil: Lessons from a pandemic: Innovation in experiential learning or assessment. Pharmacy Education, 20(2), 39–40.
- Morris, T. H. (2020). Experiential learning – a systematic review and revision of Kolb’s model. Interactive Learning Environments, 28(8), 1064–1077.
- O’Connor, E., Cianciotta, J., & Crete, D. (2021). Exploring student satisfaction of experiential learning in structured, non-renumerated placements. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 2021(167), 23–32.