This research note briefly describes a linguistic research project initiated in 2007 on the description of current dialects in the Chukchi language
Cette note de recherche décrit brièvement un projet de recherche commencé en 2007 sur la description des dialectes contemporains de la langue tchouktche.
Corps de l’article
Language is a cultural mirror that reflects not only the real world around the human being but also people’s identity, social representations, national character, way of life, traditions, customs, ethics and system of values. Along with V.G. Bogoraz, several of his students have carried out studies of Chukchi language and ethnography. They were G.I. Mel’nikov, P.I. Skorik, T.A. Moll, P.I. Inenlikei, and I.S. Vdovin. Later they were followed by A.S. Asinovski, S.I. Sokolov, I.V. Kulikova-Kymyrul’tyne and I.A. Murav’eva. There are divergent theories regarding the dialects in the Chukchi language. Thus V.G. Bogoraz distinguishes only Eastern and Western dialects in Chukchi, while P.J. Skorik marks out five dialects, namely the Uelen (eastern Chukotka), Chaun (western Chukotka), Enmylin, Nunligran and Khatyrka dialects.
This research note briefly describes a linguistic research project initiated in 2007 which aims to categorise and describe the particularities of current dialects in the Chukchi language. The project supervisor is Dr I.V. Kulikova and the principal researcher the author of this note who has already done research on the subject (e.g., Ranavrol’tyn 2001, 2003, 2004a, 2004b, 2005).
The research methods involved studying first-hand sources about Chukchi dialects; collecting data on Chukchi dialects through discussions, interviews, questionnaires; and sound-recording during field trips to Chukotka аs well as to the settlement of Nizhnee-Kolymsk in Sakha (Yakutia) where some Chukchi live.
The expected results will confirm or refute V.G. Bogoraz’ point of view about the absence of dialects in Chukchi language. Results will be published in a final report in 2010.
- RANAVROL’TYN, G.I., 2001 Chukotsko-russkii tematicheskii slovar’ s latinizirovannoi transkriptsiei (Chukchi-Russian thematic dictionary with transcriptions in Roman alphabet), manuscript, electronic version on a CD, Anadyr, Chukotka Unit, North-Eastern Institute for Science and Research, Far-Eastern Division of the Russian Academy of Science.
- RANAVROL’TYN, G.I., 2003 Sem’ia i semeinaia gruppa u chukchei (‘Family and kinship among the Chukchi’), paper presented at the 5th Congress of the Russian ethnographers and anthropologists, Omsk, June 9-12, 2003.
- RANAVROL’TYN, G.I., 2004a Kak sokhranit’ i razvivat’ kul’turu, iazyki narodov Chukotki. (‘Ways to preserve and develop the culture and the language of the Chukchi people’), in Proceedings of the conference Severo-Vostok Rossii: proshloe, nastoiashchee, budushchee (‘The North-East of Russia: past, present, and future’), Magadan: 236-243.
- RANAVROL’TYN, G.I., 2004b Kompjuternii chukotsko-russkii slovar’ v sisteme shkol’nogo obrazovaniia (‘Computerized Chukchi-Russian thematic dictionary for the educational system’), in V.S. Krivoshchekov (ed.), Orientiry razvitia Beringii v XXI veke (‘Directions in the development of Beringia in the 21st century’), Magadan, Chukotka Unit, North-Eastern Institute for Science and Research, Research volume 8: 236-243.
- RANAVROL’TYN, G.I., 2005 Chukotsko-russkii tematicheskii slovar’ dlia obrazovatel’nykh uchrezhdenii Chukotskogo Avtonomnogo Okruga (‘Chukchi-Russian thematic dictionary for the educational institutions in Chukchi Autonomous Region’), unpublished manuscript, Anadyr, Chukotka Unit, North-Eastern Institute for Science and Research.