The competence of distance educators has a significant impact on learners’ success. The paradigm shift for universities to become distance and electronic learning environments justifies the urgency to address competency gaps in distance educators’ competencies efficiently. From a strategic human resource development perspective, the systems theory is used to explain the idea of maximising outputs with the minimum inputs (Biddle, 1986). In this study, distance educators at Unisa reflected on their experienced competency gaps. Where previous studies mainly focus on the size of the gaps, the aim of this article is to highlight the competency gaps likely to have the biggest impact. For this study, we used stratified non-probability sampling, and selected 407 academics who were, at the time of the study, permanently employed at a mega ODL university in South Africa. These academics represented a wide range of colleges, campuses, ages, and genders. The results of this study have implications for capacity building of academic staff in developing world contexts and other contexts where resources are scarce.
- distance learning,
- importance-competence gap,
- staff development,
Veuillez télécharger l’article en PDF pour le lire.
- Altbach, P.G. (2014). The emergence of a field: Research and training in higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 39(8), 1320-1320. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2014.949541
- Arinto, P.B. (2013). A framework for developing competencies in open and distance learning. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 4(1), 167-185. doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v14i1.1393
- Axley, L. (2008). Competency: A concept analysis. Nursing Forum, 43(4), 214-222. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-6198.2008.00115
- Baran, E., Correia, A., & Thompson, A. (2011). Transforming online teaching practice: Critical analysis of the literature on the roles and competencies of online teachers. Distance Education, 32(3), 421-439. 10.1080/01587919.2011.610293
- Bawane, J., & Spector, J.M. (2009). Prioritisation of online instructor roles: Implications for competency based teacher education programmes. Distance Education, 30(3), 383. doi: 10.1080/01587910903236536
- Berge, Z.L. (2008). Changing instructor's roles in virtual worlds. The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 9(4), 407-414. Retrieved from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/106706/
- Bezuidenhout, A. (2013, September-October). The evolving work context of the ODL academic. Paper presented at the UNISA International Cambridge Open, Distance and eLearning Conference, Cape Town.
- Bezuidenhout, A. (2015). Implications of distance educator's changing work role for academic workload. Distance Education. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/action/showCitFormats?doi=10.1080/01587919.2015.1055055
- Bezuidenhout, A. & Cilliers, F.V.N. (2010). Burnout, work engagement, and sense of coherence in female academics at two tertiary institutions. South African Journal of Industrial Psychology, 36(1), 1-10. doi: 10.4102/sajip.v36i1.872
- Biddle, B.J. (1986). Recent developments in role theory. Annual Review of Sociology, 12, 67-92. doi: 10.1146/annurev.so.12.080186.000435
- Chang, C., Shen, H-Y., & Liu, Z-F. (2014). University faculty's perspectives on the roles of e-instructors and their online instruction practice. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 15(3). doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v15i3.1654
- Common Wealth of Learning and Asian Development Bank. (1999). Learner support in open and distance learning: Training toolkit. Retrieved from https://www.col.org/resources/learner-support-open-and-distance-learning-training-toolkit
- Davis, A., Jansen van Rensburg, M., & Venter, P. (2016). The impact of managerialism on the strategy work of university middle managers. Studies in Higher Education 41(8), 1480-1494. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2014.981518
- De Coi, J.L., Herder, E., Koesling, A. Lofi, C., Olmedilla, D., Papapetrou, O., & Siberski, W. (2007). A model for competence gap analysis. European Institute for E-learning. Retrieved from http://www.olmedilla.info/pub/2007 /2007_ WEBIST_competence.pdf
- Dimri, A.K., & Misra, A.K. (2006). Training programmes for distance education professionals: An analytical assessment. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education-TOJDE 7(4).
- Gregory, M. S-J., & Lodge, J.M. (2015). Academic workload: The silent barrier to the implementation of technology-enhanced learning strategies in higher education. Distance Education. doi: /10.1080/01587919.2015.1055056
- Hamel, G., & Prahad, C.K. (1989). Strategic intent. Harvard Business Review, 67(3), 63-78. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2005/07/strategic-intent
- Jamieson, P. (2004). The University as workplace. Preparing lecturers to work in online environments. The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 5(1), 21-27. Retrieved from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/106779/
- Kuanda, L. (2012). Curriculum internationalisation in an African context. University World News, 242. Retrieved from http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20121003103951872
- Leibowitz, B., Bozalek, V., Van Schalkwyk, S., & Winberg, C. (2015). Institutional context matters: The professional development of academics as teachers in South Africa. Higher Education, 69, 315-330. doi: 10.1007/s10734-014-9777-2
- Lorenzetti, J. (2009). Developing faculty competency in online pedagogy. Distance Education Report, 13(18), 5-8. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=44476927&site=ehost-live
- Lovelock, C., Patterson, P.G., & Walker, R.H. (1998). Service marketing. Sydney: Prentice-Hall.
- Markus, L., Cooper-Thomas, H., & Allpress, K. (2005). Confounded by competencies? An evaluation of the evolution and use of competency models. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 34(2), 117-127. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.468.9642&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Martilla, J.A., & James, J.C. (1977). Performance Analysis. Journal of Marketing, 41(1), 77-79. doi: 10.2307/1250495
- McClelland, D. C., & Boyatzis, R.E. (1980). Opportunities for counsellors from the competency assessment movement. Personnel and Guidance Journal, 368-372. doi: 10.1002/j.2164-4918.1980.tb00415.x
- Moore, M.G. (2007). The theory of transactional distance. In Handbook of distance education (2nd ed.; pp. 89-108). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Munoz Carril, P.C., Gonzalez Sanmamed, M., & Hernández Sellés, N. (2013). Pedagogical roles and competencies of university teachers practicing in the e-learning environment. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 14(3), p. 462-487. Retrieved from doi: 10.19173/irrodl.v14i3.1477
- Naidu, S. (2010, May). Unpacking the affordances of technology for e-learning. In ODL Occasional Lecture Series. Unisa, Pretoria.
- Norton, M.S. (2008). Human resources administration for educational leaders. Sage. doi: 10.4135/9781452274997.n7
- Okendu, J.N. (2012). Strategic planning of university human resource programs and academic staff performance. Developing Country Studies, 2(5), 30-35.
- Panda, S., & Mishra, S. (2007). E-Learning in a mega open university: Faculty attitude, barriers, and motivators. Educational Media International, 14(1), 324-338. doi: 10.1080/09523980701680854
- Poalses, J., Joubert, J.P.R., Bezuidenhout, A., & Nienaber, H. (2014). College of economic and management sciences occupational stress and risk assessment. Pretoria: University of South Africa.
- Rothmann, I., & Cooper, C.L. (2015). Work and organizational psychology. London: Routledge.
- Saunders, M. L., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2009). Research methods for business students (5th ed.). Harlow, England: Prentice Hall.
- Schouteden, W., Verburgh, A., & Elen, J. (2016). Teachers' general and contextualised research conceptions. Studies in Higher Education, 41(1), 79-94. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2014.914915
- Seale, O., & Cross, M. (2016). Leading and managing in complexity: the case of South African deans. Studies in Higher Education, 41(8), 1514-1532. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2014.988705
- Siemens, G. (2008). Learning and knowing in networks: Changing roles for educators and designers. Retrieved from http://www.ingedewaard.net/papers/connectivism/2008/siemens_Learning_Knowing_inNetworks_changingRolesForEducatorsAndDesigners.pdf
- Sparrow, P. (1995). Organisational competencies: A valid approach for the future? International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 3(3), 168-177. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2389.1995.tb00024.x
- Unisa. (2007). Unisa policy on research ethics. Retrieved from http://www.unisa.ac.za/contents/research/docs/ResearchEthicsPolicy_apprvCounc_21Sept07.pdf
- Unisa. (2016). Research and innovation report @ Unisa. Retrieved from http://www.unisa.ac.za/static/corporate_web/Content/Research%20&%20innovation/Research%20reports/2016/unisa-research-report2016.pdf
- Varvel, V. (2007). Master online teacher competences. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration 10(1). Retrieved from http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/spring101/varvel101.htm
- Welman, C., Kruger, F., & Mitchell, B. (2010). Research methodology (3rd ed.). Cape Town: Oxford.