The study explored perceptions of postgraduate distance education students of University of Cape Coast (UCC). Specifically, associations between UCC postgraduate distance students’ characteristics and satisfaction, as well as students’ perceptions of physical facilities, staff-students relationship, facilitator quality, and student support services were examined. Determinants of students’ satisfaction regarding physical facilities, staff-students relationship, facilitator quality, and student support services were also investigated. A census was used for the study, whereby a questionnaire was used to collect data from 125 students. It was revealed that satisfaction was not dependent on age, gender, or programme of study but was significantly related to study centre location and semester of study. The students were generally satisfied with physical facilities, staff-students relationship, and facilitator quality but were unimpressed with student support services. The three domains that students were impressed with were deemed to be determinants of their satisfaction. It was recommended that those aspects of the programme that received satisfactory responses should be maintained but improved on with time. Those aspects with unfavourable responses, on the other hand, were to be critically considered for immediate improvement.
- student satisfaction,
- distance learning,
- service quality,
- higher education
Download the article in PDF to read it.
- Abbasi, M. N., Malik, A., Chaudry, I. S., & Imdadullah, M. (2011). A study on student satisfaction in Pakistani universities: The case of Bahaudin Zakariya University, Pakistan. Asian Social Science, 7(7), 209-219. doi: 10.5539/ass.v7n7p209
- Afolabi, F. (2017). First year learning experiences of university undergraduates in the use of open educational resources in online learning. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 18(7), 113-125. Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/3167/4465
- Aggor, R. A., Kinyanjui, P. E., Pecku, N. K., & Yerbury, J. C. (1992). Survey on distance education in Ghana: A report for the Deputy Secretary (Higher Education Division). Vancouver, BC: Commonwealth of Learning.
- Agyei, P. M., & Kilika, J. M. (2013). Relationship between service quality and customer loyalty in the Kenyan telecommunication service industry. European Journal of Business and Management, 5(23), 26-36. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/401a/d954c64452c223bcbfccf5e957a5fcc41f2d.pdf
- Allen, I. E., & Seaman, J. (2017). Digital learning compass: Distance education enrollment report 2017. Babson Survey Research Group. Retrieved from https://onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/digtiallearningcompassenrollment2017.pdf
- Alshmemri, M., Shahwan-Akl, L., & Maude, P. (2017). Herzberg’s two-factor theory. Life Sciences Journal 14(5), 12-16. doi: 10.7537/marslsj140517.03
- Apam, B., & Alija, S. (2017). Examination of student satisfaction and academic performance in quantitative methods: The case of Bolgatanga Polytechnic. Africa Development and Resources Research Institute Journal, 26, 6(4), 1-10. Retrieved from https://journals.adrri.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Manuscript-Number-ADRRIJ-17-2670.pdf
- Azarcon, Jr., D. E., Gallardo, C. D., Anacin, C. J., & Velesco, E. (2014). Attrition and retention in higher education institution: A conjoint analysis of consumer behavior in higher education. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, Arts and Sciences, 1(5), 107-117. Retrieved from http://apjeas.apjmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/APJEAS-2014-1-091.pdf
- Bozkurt, A., Akgun-Ozbek, E., Yilmazel, S., Erdogdu, E., Ucar, H., Guler, E.,... Aydin, C. H. (2015). Trends in distance education research: A content analysis of journals 2009-2013. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning 16(1), 330-363. Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/1953/3261
- Bright, L., & Graham, C. B. (2016). Predictors of graduate student satisfaction in public administration programs. Journal of Public Affairs Education, 22(1), 17-34. doi: 10.1080/15236803.2016.12002226
- Chandra, T., Hafni, L., Chandra, S., Purwati, A., & Chandra, J. (2019). The influence of service quality, university image on student satisfaction and student loyalty. Benchmarking: An International Journal, 26(5), 1533-1549. doi: 10.1108/BIJ-07-2018- 0212
- Chawinga, W. D., & Zozie, P. A. (2016). Increasing access to higher education through open and distance learning: Empirical findings from Mzuzu University, Malawi. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 17(4), 1-20. Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/2409/3774
- Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2007). Research methods in education (6th ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- DeShields, O. W., Kara, A., & Kaynak, E. (2005). Determinants of business student satisfaction and retention in higher education: Applying Herzberg’s two‐factor theory. International Journal of Educational Management, 19(2), 128-139. doi: 10.1108/09513540510582426
- Deuren, R. V., & Lhaden, K. (2017). Student satisfaction in higher education: A comparative study of a public and a private college. Bhutan Journal of Research & Development, 6, 40-52. Retrieved from http://www.rub.edu.bt/images/rub/research/publications/journals/I-Spring-2017.pdf
- Farahmandian, S., Minavand, H., & Afshardost, M. (2013). Perceived service quality and student satisfaction in higher education. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 12(4), 65-74. doi: 10.9790/487X-1246574
- Fosu, F. F., & Poku, K. (2014). Exploring the factors that influence students’ choice of higher education in Ghana. European Journal of Business and Management, 6(28), 209-220. Retrieved from https://iiste.org/Journals/index.php/EJBM/article/view/30560/31401
- Fung, Y., & Carr, R. (2000). Face-to-face tutorials in a distance learning system: Meeting student needs. Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning, 15(1), 35-46. doi: 10.1080/026805100115452
- Ghansah, K., Segbenya, M., Gonu, E., & Peniana, F. (2015). Factors influencing students’ choice of University of Cape Coast for distance education. Journal of Educational Development and Practice, 6(1), 140-158.
- Gonu, E., & Agyepong, G. K. Q. (2016). Students’ perception about quality of distance education at the University of Cape Coast, Ghana. European Journal of Business and Management, 8(15), 9-20. Retrieved from https://iiste.org/Journals/index.php/EJBM/article/view/30560/31401
- Helgesen, O., & Nesset, E. (2007). Images, satisfaction and antecedents: Drivers of student loyalty? A case study of a Norwegian university college. Corporate Reputation Review, 10(1), 38-59. doi: 10.1057/palgrave.crr.1550037
- Herzberg, F., Mausner, B., & Snyderman, B. B. (1959). The motivation to work (2nd ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Hofstede, G. (1983). National cultures in four dimensions: A research-based theory of cultural differences among nations. International Studies of Management and Organization, 13(1/2), 46-74. doi: 10.1080/00208825.1983.11656358
- Holden, M. T., & Lynch, P. (2004). Choosing the appropriate methodology: Understanding research philosophy. The Marketing Review, 4(4), 397-409. doi: 10.1362/1469347042772428
- Illias, A., Hassan, H. F. A., Rahman, R. A., & bin Yasoa M. R. (2008). Student satisfaction and service quality: Any difference in demographic factors? International Business Research, 1(4), 131-143. doi: 10.5539/ibr.v1n4p131
- Jan, S. K. (2015). The relationships between academic self-efficacy, computer self-efficacy, prior experience, and satisfaction with online learning. American Journal of Distance Education, 29(1), 30-40. doi: 10.1080/08923647.2015.994366
- Kara, A. M., Tanui, E., & Kalai, J. M. (2016). Educational service quality and students’ satisfaction in public universities in Kenya. International Journal of Education and Social Science. 3(10), 37-48. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7f4f/bd6b6e5ca672565cbc8118dab76867959412.pdf
- Kaur, H., & Bhalla, G. (2018). Determinants of effectiveness in public higher education-students’ viewpoint. International Journal of Educational Management, 32(6), 1135-1155. doi: 10.1108/IJEM-09-2016-0188
- Keelson, S. A. (2011). Student perception of teaching quality in business schools: Evidence from polytechnic institutions in Ghana. Business Education & Accreditation, 3(1), 77-88. Retrieved from http://www.theibfr2.com/RePEc/ibf/beaccr/bea-v3n1-2011/BEA-V3N1-2011-8.pdf
- Kothari, C. R. (2004). Research methodology: Methods and techniques (2nd ed.). New Delhi, India: New Age International Publishers.
- Krishnan, C. (2012). Student support services in distance higher education in India: A critical appraisal. International Journal of Research in Economics and Social Sciences, 2(2), 459-471. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Krishnan_Chalil/publication/234000489_distance_edn/links/0fcfd50dfd7febe909000000/distance-edn.pdf
- Kwapong, O. A. T. F. (2010). Equitable access: Information and communication technology for open and distance learning. New York: iUniverse Inc.
- Malik, E. M., Danish, R. Q., & Usman, A. (2010). The impact of service quality on students’ satisfaction in higher education institutes of Punjab. Journal of Management Research, 2(2), 1-11. doi: 10.5296/jmr.v2i2.418
- Mansor, A. A., Hasanordin, R., Rashid, M. H. A., & Rashid, W. E. W. (2012). Hierarchical service quality model towards student satisfaction. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 3(6), 803-807. Retrieved from http://www.ijimt.org/papers/342-CM335.pdf
- Oluwunmi, A. O. Durodola, O. D., & Ajayi, C. A. (2015). Comparative analysis of students’ satisfaction with classroom facilities in Nigerian private universities. Journal of Studies in Education, 5(4) 242-257. doi: 10.5296/jse.v5i4.8442
- Oluwunmi, A. O., Emeghe, I. J., Oni, S. A., & Ajayi, O. (2016). Demographic factors and students’ satisfaction in Nigerian private universities. Covenant Journal in Research & Built Environment, 4(2), 87-98. Retrieved from http://eprints.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/7547/1/Oluwunmi%2C%20Emeghe%2C%20Oni%20%26%20Ajayi.pdf
- Osman, A. R., & Saputra, R. S. (2019). A pragmatic model of student satisfaction: A viewpoint of private higher education. Quality Assurance in Education , 27(2) 142-165. doi: 10.1108/QAE-05-2017-0019
- Osuji, S. N. (2005). The mass media in distance education in Nigeria in the 21st century. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 6(2), 65-69. Retrieved from http://tojde.anadolu.edu.tr/yonetim/icerik/makaleler/193-published.pdf
- Özcan, H., & Yildirim, S. (2018). Administrators’ perceptions of motives to offer online academic degree programs in universities. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(1), 327-342. Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/3422/4561
- Padlee, S. F., & Yaakop, A. Y. (2013). Service quality of Malaysian higher educational institutions: A conceptual framework. International Journal of Business, Economics and Law, 2(1), 60-69. Retrieved from http://ijbel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Service-Quality-Of-Malaysian-Higher-Educational-Institutions-%E2%80%93-A-Conceptual-Framework-Siti-Falindah-Padlee-Azizul-Yadi-Yaakop.pdf
- Panda, S., & Santosh, S. (2017). Faculty perception of openness and attitude to open sharing at the Indian National Open University. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 18(7), 89-111. Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/2942/4463
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal of Retailing, 64, 12-40. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/d26a/2423f00ca372b424a029ae22521299f00ede.pdf
- Poon, J. (2019). Postgraduate student satisfaction in the UK. Property Management, 37(1), 115-135. doi: 10.1108/PM-07-2017-0041
- Seaman J. E., Allen, I. E., & Seaman, J. (2018). Grade increase: Tracking distance education in the United States. (n.p.): Babson Survey Research Group. Retrieved from https://onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/gradeincrease.pdf
- Shea, T., & Parayitam, S. (2019). Antecedents of graduate student satisfaction through e-portfolio: Content analysis. Education + Training, 61(9), 1045-1063. doi: 10.1108/ET-04-2019-0064
- Stewart, D. (1993). Student support systems in distance education. Open Learning, 8(3), 3-12. doi: 10.1080/0268051930080302
- Stoessel, K., Ihme, T. A., Barbarino, M. L., Fisseler, B., & Stürmer, S. (2015). Sociodemographic diversity and distance education: Who drops out from academic programs and why? Research in Higher Education, 56, 228-246. doi: 10.1007/s11162-014-9343-x
- Su, B. (2004). Dual-mode programs: A quagmire for distance education development? Educational Technology, 44(5), 50-54. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/44428937
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (2009). Trends in global higher education: Tracking an academic revolution. Paris, France: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Retrieved from http://www.cep.edu.rs/public/Altbach,_Reisberg,_Rumbley_Tracking_an_Academic_Revolution,_UNESCO_2009.pdf
- University of Cape Coast. (2017). Basic statistics. Cape Coast, Ghana: University of Cape Coast.
- Van de Ven, A. H. (2007). Engaged scholarship: A guide for organizational and social research. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Vidalakis, C., Sun., M., & Papa, A. (2013). The quality and value of higher education facilities: A comparative study. Facilities, 31(11/12), 489-504. doi: 10.1108/F-10-2011-0087
- Voss, R., & Gruber, T. (2006). The desired teaching qualities of lecturers in higher education: A means end analysis. Quality Assurance in Education , 14(3), 217-242. doi: 10.1108/09684880610678540
- Zhen, F., Cao, J., & Tang, J. (2018). Exploring correlates of passenger satisfaction and service improvement priorities of the Shanghai-Nanjing High Speed Rail. Journal of Transport and Land Use, 11(1), 559-573. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/26622418